Saturday, September 19, 2009

Quote of the Day

"As time goes on you accumulate your personal gadgets, things which graft themselves on to your life; an ancient thin-pronged fork for the testing of meat, a broken knife for scraping mussels, a battered little copper saucepan in which your sauces have always turned out well, an oyster knife which you can no longer afford to use for its intended purpose but which turns out to be just the thing for breaking off hunks of Parmesan cheese... an earthenware bean-pot of such charm that nothing cooked in it could possibly go wrong."

From French Country Cooking by Elizabeth David


At the cottage two weeks ago I found myself without a rolling pin and a box of ripe Ontario peaches. A heavy, unopened bottle of wine filled in nicely.






4 comments:

Hilary said...

And a fine-tasting wine it is too. Jackson Triggs Cabernet Merlot is one of my favourites. I'll bet it didn't stay in rolling pin mode for too long. Innovative.. but much better when the bottle is open. ;)

That pie looks scrumptious!

Zuzana said...

Welcome back.:)
I still use a bottle when baking.:P
Love the header picture as I am a great fan of progressive photography.
Hope you had a nice, relaxing vacation.:)

Oscar said...

Do you like the tango music??
i m argentine from Bs As
HELLO!!!!
I M waiting
Oscar

G said...

Hilary: Jackson Triggs Merlot is a favourite around here!

Protege: I've never done it before, but I'll be doing it again. I love things with multiple uses.

Oscar: HOLA!