Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Visitor

I can't remember the last time a film moved me and stayed with me, as last year's The Visitor has. Thomas McCarthy wrote and directed, as he did his previous film, The Station Agent (2003), which I have yet to see, and which Phil talks about on his blog on August 16, 2008.



Richard Jenkins plays a college professor in Connecticut who is at a point in his life and career in which he is emotionally and professionally shut-down. A series of interesting encounters occur (I will not spoil this plot line!) and the film is a wonder of beautiful performances and great writing. It's about unlikely people reaching out to unlikely people and overcoming very real obstacles, despite background and circumstances. Sometimes obstacles are not overcome but it ultimately speaks beautifully of the triumph of friendship and love... and music and the rhythm of life.

Is it any surprise that I was moved to tears several times?

Photo: Richard Jenkins as Professor Walter Vale and Haas Sleiman as Tarek Khalil in The Visitor. (JOJO WHILDON/OVERTURE FILMS)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading about this movie and thinking that it sounded interesting. I'm grateful for your review and will add it to my Netflix queue.

Anonymous said...

It looks like an awesome film!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, looking forward to seeing it.

http://quiet-streets.blogspot.com/
2008/08/film-of-day.html

Anonymous said...

I'm adding The Visitor to my list along with The Station Agent! Looks like a great movie!

Anonymous said...

I saw The Visitor tonight and loved it.
Yay! to Richard Jenkins for the Oscar nom.

Thanks for guiding me to it, G!