Friday, August 29, 2008

Raspberries



From a couple of weeks ago... freshly picked raspberries... a few were pureed to make a seductive coulis, drizzled over a small piece of angel food cake, then topped with mounds of freshly whipped cream, and heaped over again with the rest of those perfectly velvety berries.



Raspberries

The way we can't remember heat, forget
the sweat and how we wore a weightless
shirt on chafing skin, the way we lose
the taste of raspberries, each winter; but

know at once, come sharp July, the vein
burning in the curtain, and from that light
- the block of sun on hot crushed sheets -
the blazing world we'll walk in,

was how it was, your touch. Nor the rest,
not how we left, the drunkenness, just
your half-stifled, clumsy, frightened reach,
my uncurled hand, our fingers, meshed,

-like the first dazzled flinch from heat
or between the teeth, pips, a metal taste.

By Scottish poet Kate Clanchy, from her collection Samarkand (Picador, 1999)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...the dessert...and the poem...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos...yum! And I absolutely love this piece by Kate Clanchy. I must go do some reading on her...

Anonymous said...

Simplistic natural goodness.

Anonymous said...

Oh.My.God. Those photos are positively erotic.

Anonymous said...

One of the best parts of summer.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry ... Marionberries RULE!

Anonymous said...

Drool! I mean really.. that's just beautiful and so drool-worthy!

Anonymous said...

Betsy: Indeed, a fine combination of experiences

Willow: She's new to me too!

Coco: Simple is good, especially when dealing with such freshly picked goodness

Mrs. G: I concur wholeheartedly!

Pamela Terry & Edward: One of the joys of the passing seasons... I certainly don't take summer fruit for granted

Bill: Ashamed to say I don't think I know marionberries. I'll be keeping an eye out for them!

Hilary: Yep, I keep my drool cup firmly hotglued to my chin in such situations. Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

Marionberries - A tasty treat from Oregon, it is a cross between several varieties of blackberries.

I doubt they are in wide distribution because berry lovers in Oregon and Washington probably eat them all!

When not locally available - I've ordered jars of Marionberry jam or preserves via Amazon.com

Anonymous said...

Now, if you could just email those you'd REALLY be on to something! :)

Anonymous said...

wonderful raspberries, I love them. Our raspberries, here in our orchard in Ireland, are yellow coloured, yet they taste the same as the red ones! it always surprised people when they taste them.
x

Anonymous said...

Temptress!

Anonymous said...

Bill: How intriguing. I shall endeavour to find some. Luckily I'm in a town famed for importing almost everything food-related.

Dave: I'd be in business, that's for sure. :)

BT: Mmmmmmm... they sound gorgeous!

CC: Heh heh!

Anonymous said...

Instantly I'm back on my grandparent's farm on berry picking day, feeling the dry heat and the prickly things, dodging bees, while seeking out the best berries - then deciding whether to pop them in my mouth or my bucket!

Anonymous said...

Rosezilla: Wonderful imagery. The temptation would be too much for me. Ohhh, a new blog to discover! Thanks for the visit. :)