Sunday, January 4, 2009

Oh Boy

I rarely go into greeting card stores, preferring instead to use a selection I keep on hand of interesting art cards, etc. But yesterday, on my way to meet a friend for a movie, I passed one and - today being my dad's birthday - I thought I'd get something more birthday oriented... oh, plus they were having a ridiculously wonderful sale on dark chocolate Lindt Lindor balls. Heh heh.

Well, there certainly is a lot of crap for sale out there. I stood at the "Birthday - Dad" section for a while, in full scoff mode. What mawkish sentiment! What hopeless drivel!! My dad doesn't sail or golf, so that ruled out 95% of the cards. I considered the irony of a card featuring animal depictions of dads and daughters (hey Pop - this species doesn't eat its young either!). Then I ruled out the fuzzy photographs and autumnal oil paintings (hello, it's January 4!). Then I saw one that bore just a sweet photograph of a fairly generic little girl. I opened it up and started reading the sentiment, my lip already curling in disdain at the word "princess".

Because I had a dad like you,
I always knew that princesses
didn't have to be all dresses and bows.

I knew,

because no matter how tousled my hair
or how muddy my shoes,
a princess is what you made me feel like...
And that's how it still feels
being your daughter.

... then... Reader, I teared up! Reader, I bought that card!

I've never felt like a princess, although I've always wanted a tiara. As a kid my socks were always falling down and I had bits of twigs and leaves and lint in my hair and my hair bows always fell out. It's been a downhill decline since then. But my dad loves me anyway and I love him.

Happy Birthday Pop!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect card waiting just for you in the hoards of retail junk!

A very Happy Birthday to your dad, BPG. Hope you all enjoy the festivities of the day.

Anonymous said...

Truthfully, I do not understand greeting cards and why they're so popular. I've looked at them, been amused by a few, got a sugar rush from most of them and just don't get it with the rest.

And, when I receive one I usually smile and pretend I'm pleased to have it but I'm really just thinking, "You paid five dollars for that?"

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your father too.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your dad, BPG! So glad you found an appropriate card...and lindt chocolate to boot! :)

Anonymous said...

Very sweet post... but what movie did you see?

Anonymous said...

A good Daddy is the best gift a girl can have!

I do understand your frustration with the majority of greeting cards, which is why I generally make my own!! I'm glad you were fortunate enough to find a perfect one!

Anonymous said...

Your Dad's a lucky man. I'm sure he realizes that. :)

Anonymous said...

I so recognize the frustration when it comes to buying birthday cards; they never have the right ones.
But I do follow your sentiment here; the poem is indeed lovely. And you will always be "a princess" to your dad.;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you all! My dad had a good time, and so did we all.

Bill: what about a really well picked card, one that speaks to who YOU are?

Ed: See my next post! :)

Anonymous said...

Aww very sweet. Happy belated Birthday to your Dad.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Hilary. :)