Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oy! Where's my Degree?

I spend a fair bit of time loitering around the University of Toronto with one event or another. This weekend I saw a musical (!) version of Nick Hornby's High Fidelity at Hart House Theatre. Unlike my feelings for the the last two shows I saw there, I really didn't like this, and have no interesting in dissecting it here. But here's a shot of one of the very attractive hallways of this renovated space, a legend in Toronto.




We walked home through a lovely archway on campus.




I attended a lecture at Trinity College...




On a kindly mild, but grey day, in Toronto... colour!




Each time I visit I love getting shots of the quadrangle though these windows.




Then a tour of Massey College, designed by Ron Thom (whose career was heavily influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright), and which opened in 1963. The request (by the Massey family) was that the college contained an enclosed quadrangle and paid homage to the colleges of Oxford.










Hello! Guess who?




Christopher Ondaatje, extremely wealthy brother of Michael, the writer.







It mixes the modern and the gothic well.




Lots of fine detail, like this floor grate:




And lots of well-crafted light fixtures.







Stunning stained glass in the upper library by the brilliant Sarah Hall.




This detail attempts to show the constellation Auriga in the middle panel at the top.




I'm not a very good photographer of buildings and I haven't done this justice, but I'm blaming that on my lack of edjimication.




Then it was comforting dim sum on Baldwin Street and a long walk home to make up for that.

5 comments:

Zuzana said...

I love the second picture! That is an inspiration to paint actually, very atmospheric...
The campus and the college buildings remind me very much of the DUKE university in NC.
xo
Zuzana

Hilary said...

I'm enjoying these photos. It's been a long time since I've wanted the streets of Toronto. I think I'm due. You did a fine job of capturing architecture.

Audubon Ron said...

Beautiful photo essay.

Thank you.

Betsy Brock said...

Oooh..thanks for sharing the tour with us...I agree...very lovely!

G said...

Thank you all, my fave commenters!