Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'd Rather be Laying Down



As I've been planning a short getaway next week, I've had little trouble deciding between a short plane trip and a longer train journey. It's going to be the train, as - for an idler like me - to sit for four or five hours, gazing out of a window, watching clouds and day dreaming, is pure heaven, and something I rarely indulge in. Plus, you're more likely to meet the most interesting people, including quite possibly secret agents, when you're on a train.

But if I had felt indecisive, I think the recently updated carry-on policy for Canadian flight passengers would have made the decision pretty easy. I'm more frightened of the over-paid security policy analysts that came up with this. And it just serves to remind me of how very unglamorous plane travel has become, whereas the train still has, in some instances, a real allure.

This is part of what we are allowed to carry with us:



Does the presence of wool prove the innocent intentions of the bearer of knitting needles? Are terrorists smart enough to remind their compatriots: "Hey Bob! Don't forget the wool... and while you're waiting in the check-in line, knit a few rows, that'll fool them good and proper! Hey, and use that soft, pastel baby wool!"? And anyway, as any Bond fan knows, any operative worth the trouble can kill with their hair, or their thighs.

Speaking of not flying, did you see this news item?

(Associated Press) WASHINGTON - A mystery object from space is about to whizz close by Earth on Wednesday. It will not hit the planet, but scientists are stumped by what exactly it is.

Astronomers say it may be space junk or it could be a tiny asteroid, too small to cause damage even if it hit. It is 33 to 50 feet (10 to 15 metres) wide at most.

NASA says that on Wednesday at 7:47 a.m. EST, (1247 GMT) it will streak by, missing Earth by about 80,000 miles (128,750 kilometres).


I think it's aliens whizzing by in their souped-up weekend machines, going "Nyeahhhhhh losers!" to us here on earth.

Crazy world. I think Tibby has the right answer.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

Ha.. too funny. Looks like Tibby could indeed strangle someone with those thighs. ;)

Enjoy your trip.. sounds like Mt.l to me.

tattytiara said...

"...to sit for four or five hours, gazing out of a window, watching clouds and day dreaming, is pure heaven"

Oh I wish I hadn't read that. I want to hop a train so bad now!

will said...

1. I hope you see Alien Spaceship No. X41 pass as you gaze from the train window.

2. Your cat is an alien.

3. Secret agents aren't what they used to be. No From Russia With Love, just pudgy guys wearing off the rack corduroy jackets.

Zuzana said...

What a GREAT post!
I absolutely agree with you, there is just something about train travel. I will never get tired of it. My dream is to ride on the luxurious *The Royal Scotsman*.
Maybe one day. ;)
Besides, I hate flying.
And I agree, Tibby has figured it out. Batcat would agree.;)
I am sure you will have a wonderful trip,
xo
Zuzana

Audubon Ron said...

Only 80,000 miles? Wow, that's close.

G said...

Hilary: I usually have to pin him with mine when he gets his nails trimmed! And you would be correct: Montreal is my destination.

Tattytiara: Come along! Thanks for the visit! :)

Bill: 1. My eyes will be peeled... when they aren't closed.

2. Actually, we think he's a dog.

3. I'm not that fussy.

Protege: I've heard of the Flying Scotsman, but not the Royal. I shall have to look it up! Oh I love train travel, just wish it was as in the romantic corridor carriages I remember from when I was a child.

Ron: Eerily so!