Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Little Oral Treat

I love my sensual/Biblical foods. Properly I suppose it's just an appreciation of Middle Eastern cuisine; figs, dates, pistachios, pomegranates, honey, rose water, etc.

At Saturday's Armenian barbeque, the evening ended with these soft, small, plump pillows of silky cheese (which might have been lightly sweetened with honey), infused with rose water, and sprinkled with pistachio crumbles and a little dollop of orange blossom jam. The mouth feel is so sensual and they give goosebump-inducing pleasure going down.

They look fairly ordinary, almost bland, but they're the most beautiful thing I've tasted in a long time.

I give you: halawa bil jebneh.

(It was purchased at Pâtisserie Royale, Toronto's foremost Middle Eastern bakery, but apparently they don't make it all the time. I'll find out more).

No comments: