Friday, March 9, 2007

My Picks for the Top Ten Movie Quotes

10. Striker: "Surely you can't be serious." Rumack: "I am serious... and don't call me Shirley."
(Robert Hays as Ted Striker and Leslie Nielsen as Dr. Rumack in Airplane!, 1980)

9. "Oh... Where are you going?... Oh, you men are all alike. Seven or eight quick ones and then you're out with the boys to boast and brag. YOU BETTER KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! Oh... I think I love him."
(Madeleine Kahn as Elizabeth in Young Frankenstein, 1974)

8. Sir Robert Morton: "Oh, you still pursue your feminist activities?"
Catherine Winslow: "Oh yes. Sir Robert Morton: Pity. It's a lost cause."
Catherine Winslow: "Oh, do you really think so, Sir Robert? How little you know about women. Good-bye. I doubt that we shall meet again."
Sir Robert Morton: "Oh, do you really think so, Miss Winslow? How little you know about men."
(Jeremy Northam as Sir Robert and Rebecca Pidgeon as Catherine in The Winslow Boy, 1999)

7. "If you really loved me, you would kill yourself."
(Marlene Dietrich as Countess Claire Ledoux, aka Lili in The Flame of New Orleans, 1941)

6. "I like being frightened... with you."
(Josette Day as Belle in La Belle et la Bete, 1946)

5. "How singularly innocent I look this morning."
(Clifton Webb as Waldo Lydecker in Laura, 1944)

5. "Nothing lasts really. Neither happiness nor despair. Not even life lasts very long. They'll come a time in the future when I shan't mind about this anymore. But I can look back and say quite peacefully and cheerfully how silly I was. No, no I don't want that time to come either. I want to remember every minute, always... always to the end of my days.
(Celia Johnson as Laura Jesson in Brief Encounter, 1945)

4. "Don't say another word. It's men like you who've made me the way I am."
(Marilyn Monroe as Lorelei Lee in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, 1953)

3. "I'll admit I may have seen better days, but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail, like a salted peanut."
(Bette Davis as Margo Channing in All About Eve, 1950)

2. "I like a man who can run faster than I can."
(Jane Russell as Dorothy Shaw in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, 1953)

and...

1. "Oh Jerry, let's not ask for the moon, we have the stars!"
(Bette Davis as Charlotte Vale in Now Voyager, 1942)

I'm sure I've forgotten lots of great ones!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as I'm concerned, the entire script of both "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" and "All About Eve" are in my top ten.

My picks from Brodie:

Jean Brodie: Mr. Lowther,you are a witness to this. Miss Mackay has made totally unsupported acusations against my name and yours. If she has one
authentic shred of evidence...
just one, let her bring it forth!...I will not stand quietly by and allow myself to be crucified by a woman whose fetid frustration has overcome her judgment! If scandal is to your taste, Miss Mackay, I shall give you a feast!

++++++++++++++++++

Jean Brodie: I'm f... I'm in my prime.
Teddy Lloyd: Your prime! Look at yourself, Jean. Look at me...a second-rate painter running to seed. You're not in your prime, Jean.
Jean Brodie: Teddy, don't...
Teddy Lloyd: You're a frustrated spinster taking it out in idiot causes and dangerous ideas.

------------------------------

From "North By Northwest"

Roger Thornhill: Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that are dependent upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.

-----------------------------

From: "That Hamilton Woman"

The Streetgirl: And then?
Emma: Then what?
The Streetgirl: What happened after?
Emma: There is no "then". There is no "after".

-------------------------

From "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"

Lady Beekman: You'll find I mean business!
Dorothy Shaw: Oh, really? Then why are you wearing that hat?

---------------------------------

From: "All About Eve"

Addison DeWitt: That I should want you at all suddenly strikes me as the height of improbability... you're an improbable person, Eve, but so am I. We have that in common. Also a contempt for humanity, an inability to love or be loved, insatiable ambition - and talent. We deserve each other.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Lloyd Richards: There comes a time when the piano has to realize that it did not write the concerto!

--------------------------------

From: "Laura"

Waldo Lydecker: My dear, either you were born on a extremely rustic community, where good manners are unknown, or you suffer from a common feminine delusion that the mere fact of being a woman exempts you from the rules of civilized conduct.

--------------------------------

From: "A Fish Called Wanda"

Otto West: Look, you obviously don't know anything about intelligence work, lady. It's an X-K-Red-27 technique.
Wendy: My father was in the Secret Service, Mr. Manfredjinsinjin, and I know perfectly well that you don't keep the general public informed when you are "debriefing KGB defectors in a safe house."

---------------------------------

From: "The Thomas Crown Affair" (with Pierce Brosnan)

Thomas Crown: Do you want to dance? Or do you want to DANCE?

+++++++++++++++++++++

Catherine Banning: Damn, I hate being a foregone conclusion.

------------------------------

From "Gigi"

Aunt Alicia: A topaz?! Amongst my jewels? are you mad?!"

----------------------------------

From: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

Indiana Jones: It's disgraceful, you're old enough to be her... her grandfather.
Professor Henry Jones: Well, I'm as human as the next man.
Indiana Jones: Dad, I *was* the next man.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Indiana Jones: Come on, dad. Help me get us out of here. We have to get to Marcus before the Nazis do.
Professor Henry Jones: But you said he had a two day head start. That he would blend in, disappear.
Indiana Jones: Are you kidding? I made all that up. You know Marcus. He once got lost in his own museum.

-------------------------------

From: "Gambit"

Ahmed Shabandar: As for your friend, passing himself off as some sort of high society burglar...didn't play his part very well, did he?

-------------------------------

From "Arabesque"

Beshraavi: Must you mismanage everything?

---------------------------------

From: "Gladiator"

Lucilla: Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome.

--------------------------------

From: "Beaches"

CC Bloom: But enough about me, let's talk about you... what do YOU think of me?

------------------------------

From: Tomb Raider (The Cradle of Life)

Lara Croft: You need to take me to the Shay-Ling.
Terry Sheridan: They Shay who?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Terry Sheridan: You can break my wrist... but I'm still gonna kiss you.

-------------------------------

From "The Statement"

Uncle Armand: Listen to me, Annemarie. You will be caught in a web.
Annemarie: And who's the spider?
Uncle Armand: You will be destroyed, Annemarie. Mercilessly.
Annemarie: I'll risk it.

Oodles of Toodles,
Ra Ra

Anonymous said...

I love the "Gambit" quote! Remember how that movie inspired us to write an entire story: "The Venus and the Millionnaire"? What fun we had writing that! And as for "Lara Croft: The Cradle of Life", remember:

Lara Croft: I expected more from a Scot.

Terry Sheridan: I don't expect anything from an Englishwoman.

Anonymous said...

From The Buccanneer:

General Andrew Jackson:By the Lord God I swear I'll kill the next man who moves.

-----------------------------

From The Chalk Garden:

Miss Madrigal: What else do you occupy yourself with?
Laurel: Murder!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful quote from that magical scene between Princess Dala and Sir Charles Lytton, when he is attmpting to seduce her on the tiger-skin rug:

Princess Dala: I was six when I went on my first zsrafari... frazari... wild animal hunt!

Anonymous said...

Roger Thornhill: "The moment I meet an attractive woman, I have to start pretending I have no desire to make love to her."

Eve Kendall: "What makes you think you have to conceal it?"

Roger Thornhill: "She might find the idea objectionable."

Eve Kendall: "Then again, she might not."

From "North by Northwest" (1959), spoken by Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint.