Sunday, March 11, 2007

Son of "Top Ten Movie Quotes"

10. Lara Croft: "I expected more from a Scot."
Terry Sheridan: "I don't expect anything from an Englishwoman."
(Angelina Jolie as Lara and Gerard Butler as Terry in Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, 2003)

9. Tim Collin: "Mercy..."
Luther Whitney: "I'm fresh out."
(Dennis Haysbert as Collin, Clint Eastwood as Whitney in Absolute Power, 1997)

8. "Now I've kissed you through two centuries."
(Laurence Olivier as Nelson to Vivien Leigh as Emma, Lady Hamilton in That Hamilton Woman, 1941)

7. Jerry: "Okay, so I've sewn a few wild oats."
Carol: "A few? You could qualify for a farm loan!"
(Rock Hudson as Jerry Webster and Doris Day as Carol Templeton in
Lover Come Back, 1961)

6. Ali: "For some men, nothing is written."
(Omar Sharif as Sherif Ali in Lawrence of Arabia, 1962.)

5. Alvy: "Honey, there's a spider in your bathroom the size of a Buick."
(Woody Allen as Alvy Singer in Annie Hall, 1977.)

4. Tonetti: "Rodolfo Tonetti at your service."
Egbert: "Yes, well I am Mr. Fitzgerald."
Tonetti: "Oh, I'm delightful!"
(Erik Rhodes as Tonetti and Edward Everett Horton as Egbert Fitzgerald in The Gay Divorcee, 1934)

3. Mikey: "Think her family's gonna be okay that you're a white guy?"
Cliff: "They think any woman over 30 who isn't married is a lesbian. She figures, they'll be so relieved that I'm a man..."
Mikey: "Yeah, it's always heartwarming to see a prejudice defeated by a deeper prejudice."
(Stephen J. Lang as Mikey and Stephen Mendillo as Cliff in Lone Star, 1996)

2. Joan: "People around here are very poor I suppose."
Torquil: "Not poor, they just haven't got money."
Joan: "It's the same thing."
Torquil: "Oh no, it's something quite different."
Wendy Hiller as Joan Webster and Roger Livesey as Torquil MacNeil in I Know Where I'm Going!, 1945)

and...

1. Alec: "Happy darling?"
Laura: "Not really."
(Trevor Howard as Alec Harvey and Celia Johnson as Laura Jesson in Brief Encounter, 1945.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Ten Commandments is chock full of quotable quotes...and Yul Brynner in his yummy prime!

Moses: Let my people go.

Joshua: Water lily!
Lilia: My name is Lilia.
Joshua: To me, you are a lily, and I want water.
Lilia: Joshua, I thought you'd never come down.
Joshua: Water before love, my girl.
Lilia: Oh, does it take the entire Nile to quench your thirst?
Joshua: No, only your lips.

++++++++++++++++++++++++


Moses: Would you bury this old woman alive in a tomb of rock?
Yochabel: Wise and Noble One, I was caught. I had not the strength to free myself.
Moses: Your shoulders should not bear a burden, old woman.
Yochabel: The Lord has renewed my strength and lightened my burdens.
Moses: He would have done better to remove them.

++++++++++++++++++++

Moses: If your god is almighty, why does he leave you in bondage?
Joshua: He will chose the hour of our freedom and the man who will deliver it!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nefretiri: I could never love you.
Rameses: Does that matter? You will be my wife. You will come to me whenever I call you,and I will enjoy that very much. Whether you enjoy it or not is your own affair. But I think you will...

+++++++++++++++++++

Lilia: Water, Noble One?
Baka: No, wine. The wine of beauty.
Lilia: What beauty can my lord find in these mud pits?
Baka: A lotus flower blooms out of the muck.

Anonymous said...

"Ah, Kirk, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? It is very cold in space."

Khan Noonian Singh, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan just before he remotely lowers the Enterprise's shields and opens fire.

*********************************

I'm a doctor, not a (insert occupation)
Various episodes by Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy. The quote is often misinterpreted as beginninng with "Dammit Jim,..." but these words were never actually spoken

***********************************

"Mama always said life was like a box a chocolates, never know what you're gonna get."
Forrest Gump

***********************************

Roger Thornhill: The moment I meet an attractive woman, I have to start pretending I have no desire to make love to her.
Eve Kendall: What makes you think you have to conceal it?
Roger Thornhill: She might find the idea objectionable.
Eve Kendall: Then again, she might not.

Cary Grant & Eva Marie Saint - North by Northwest

Anonymous said...

The Omen is a classic, that still has the power to genuinely scare people, even decades later...

+++++++++++

Robert Thorn: What do you know about my son?
Father Brennan: Everything.
Robert Thorn: And what is that?
Father Brennan: I saw its mother.
Robert Thorn: You saw my wife.
Father Brennan: I saw its mother.
Robert Thorn: You are referring to my wife!
Father Brennan: Its *mother*, Mr. Thorn!
Robert Thorn: If this is blackmail, come and say it! What is it your're trying to say?

+++++++++++++++++

Robert Thorn: If there were anything wrong, you'd tell me, wouldn't you?
Kathy Thorn: Wrong? What could be wrong with our child, Robert? We're the beautiful people, aren't we?

------------------------------

From: "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" (a fabbo movie to watch when you are going through one of your own!)

Pepa: You could have killed yourself!
Candela: That was the idea. I'm desperate.
Pepa: So am I, but I don't jump off terraces.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Ivan: How many men have you had to forget?
Pepa: As many as the women you remember.

------------------------

"Butterfield 8" is pure guilty pleasure:

Gloria Wandrous: Command performances leave me quite cold. I've had more fun in the back seat of a '39 Ford than I could ever have in the vault of the Chase Manhattan Bank.

Gloria: Mama, face it. I was the slut of all-time!

Anonymous said...

Omar Sharif really shone in Lawrence of Arabia! Your quote is a great one...do you also remember his line, "Have you no fear, English?!"

And that other great thudering line:

Auda abu Tayi: I carry twenty-three great wounds, all got in battle. Seventy-five men have I killed with my own hands in battle. I scatter, I burn my enemies' tents. I take away their flocks and herds. The Turks pay me a golden treasure, yet I am poor! Because *I* am a river to my people!

Anonymous said...

Please! No Omens or Exorcists! They scare me to death. ANY movie, no matter how cheesy, that involves any form of satanic evil, is more than I can take. Now see... I have to have a lie down with a cold compress and some dark chocolate. Sigh....

Anonymous said...

Darling, fear not! No matter that Omen gives thrills and chills, what really matters is that it stars Gregory Peck and he is as wonderful and as magnificent as ever. That man had star charisma no matter what movie he was in. I'll never forget him in Arabesque, where he played a college professor, subjected to all kinds of adventure once Sophia Loren enters his life. The first time he sees her, do you recall? He does a double take and then says "Well hello, Hello, HELLO!"
It's priceless....HE's priceless!

Anonymous said...

Confession: I've never seen Arabesque. I shall remedy this situation asap.