Monday, July 16, 2007

Corona Borealis

It is true that I love star-gazing, although I don't know much about it. It is also true that several years ago, at a cottage, two very saucy fellows decided to rename the constellations in my honour, after several items of jewelry that I might like.

So it is hardly surprising that my favourite constellation (thank goodness you're being spared another top ten list) is Corona Borealis, the Northern Crown. Mmmmm... my very own tiara!!

The image was lifted from a website and then played around with by me, but I'm sure they won't mind!

This small constellation is shaped like... well more like a horseshoe than a tiara. It's located between Hercules and Bootes, kind of nestled up against the Milky Way, and visible between February and October I believe.

It's very small but very distinct. You don't lay there next to a haybale going "Andromeda, my eye!"... It's very apparent what you are seeing and like all constellations, once you can identify it, it's like seeing an old friend in a crowd... a very, very large crowd. And by the way, since when did anyone think that that was Orion's BELT?

No comments: