Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Back from the Lake

There's a cold wind blowin' from the north
And the summer birds are leavin'
As the sun slips ever further south
The lakes will soon be freezin'
And the ice will claim the empty shores
Where the one's in love went walkin'
And the hard blue skies will shiver
As the winter clouds come stalkin'

Excerpted from Somewhere Tonight, words and music by Bob Seger


Last week, at the height of the colours, we headed north...




... found the trail...




... explored the Canadian Shield...




... explored the ground...













... explored the small things...










... looked way up... appreciated some clouds...




... basked in beautiful dusks...




... gazed at the most amazing sunsets...




... and one magical dawn...




... had some good drink...






... and some great meals, including a full Thanksgiving dinner, and several meals of turkey/stuffing/cranberry sangwiches... which I love!


I took lots of pictures, yes... but remembered to leave the camera behind as well sometimes, and not see nature through a lens.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos.. looks like it was a great day. I have a similar post scheduled for Thurday. Autumn is just so amazing

Anonymous said...

Nature seems just a bit out of whack this year...After a lengthy (and punishing, in the form of floods) spring, we had virtually no summer before an abrupt autumn, and now there's already talk of snow! Aren't the seasons supposed to linger just a bit longer than this?

Anonymous said...

I especially love that trail covered with gold leaves! And that sandwich...yum...the best part of Thanksgiving dinner is the leftovers, right?

Anonymous said...

Lovely pix, BPG! You've been missed in the bloggyhood. And I'm TAGGING you for a fun and easy little game. Come on over for the details. You're IT!! :D

Anonymous said...

Terrific photos - such a colourful yet mournful time of year. You captured the essence beautifully. Well done, Ace Girl Photographer.

Anonymous said...

Hilary: Knowing your photographic prowess, I can't *wait* to see your post. :)

Edward: I don't know, everyone seems to have a different opinion. I found the summer oppressive this year. Good to see you here. :)

Betsy: I agree! There's a wonderful bakery near me that makes a "Boxing Day" sandwich all year long: turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce... yum yum!

Willow: Hooray! I've visited, I've played along, and I've tagged four more bloggers!

Suza: Thank you (and more thanks from Mr. Tibby!)

Anonymous said...


Just beautiful, g.

I haven't found 1 red leaf here yet. It's a conspiracy I tell ya! :(

Anonymous said...

But Phil... surely this means that your fall colours are all still to come, yes? :)

Anonymous said...

That lake house looks heavenly and your photos are getting really amazing.

Anonymous said...

Looks like an authetically awesome vacation!

Anonymous said...

Glamah: Well thank you very much!

Dave: It was indeed!