Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam!

I saw Spamalot last night - lots of silly fun, *very* silly! - and I was delighted that this particular scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail was included. It made me think, what with election-fever gripping the U.S. and a sort of election-slightly-scratchy-throat gripping Canada, that a farcical acquatic ceremony might not be a preferable process to selecting our leaders:

King Arthur: I am your king.

Woman: Well I didn't vote for you.

King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.

Woman: Well how'd you become king then?

[Angelic music plays... ]

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.

Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

From Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) with Graham Chapman as King Arthur, Terry Jones as Dennis's mum, and Michael Palin as Dennis.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...grab King Authur and come on over to Willow's! The ball wouldn't be complete without you there!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see that, g.

And then I'd jump in the lake. ;>)

Anonymous said...

“On second thoughts, we will not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.”

Anonymous said...

Beware of "waterey tarts" as well!

Anonymous said...

It was great fun, wasn't it. One needs to see utter silliness from time to time, and I was in the mood for some levity.

We’re opera mad in Camelot,
we sing from the diaphragm a lot.
In war we're tough and able,
Quite in-de-fa-ti-gable.

Anonymous said...

Betsy: I drank to you all as I frolicked in my foresty glade. :)

Phil: Sounds like a good plan to me!

Mr. S: Terribly silly!

Dave: Hey... HEY!!!

Suza: Hee hee! Indefatigable, irrevocable, irrestistible and a few others too!

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much fun I've had visiting here. Actually I just did. Previous posts have been delightful, particularly Tibby's joke sharing session.I met many guests at Willow's cyberball and thought I must catch up with you-there were so many fascinating people weren't there!!Nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it always helps to have a laugh in the middle of the insanity! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Pam: Lovely to meet you! Your blog looks fascinating, looking forward to spending some time exploring it. :)

Anonymous said...

Rosezilla: I love the name! I shall be over to figure out what it's all about. :)