Wednesday, July 7, 2010

TSSSSssssss...

We're in a heatwave. On Monday Toronto reached a high of 36 degrees Celsius (97 degrees Fahrenheit), with a humidex of 45 degrees (113)!

I don't like humidity, yet I won't get air conditioning. So what do I do?

I come home from work, I take a tepid shower, and then I lay in front of my fan and do nothing, and remain cool.

It's a foolish, western idea that you have to always be doing something. I take a leaf from one of the many delightful books by my hero, Tom Hodgkinson, and do nothing at all.

Tonight it was cool enough to grill two small lamb chops. Perfect drizzled with some olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. It's those two little chops that reminded me what a carnivore I am and always will be. Grrrrrrrr...

5 comments:

Hilarywho said...

I can appreciate the lovely idea of doing nothing, but no AC in this heat?! I couldn't sleep without it when it's this hot.

The Clever Pup said...

Being in the same boat, I almost took up recreational drugs to make the time go by (just kidding)

We keep the curtains on the south side shut until dark.

Jr Pup and I misted ourselves with the sprinkler last night. I have to say today, Friday, is not too much better.

Betsy Brock said...

What a gorgeous header picture you have up presently! I bet you were hugging trees, there, too! :)

We ARE in a heat wave! It's awful...but we do have A/C so I can't complain too much. I would lay in front of a fan and do nothing, too. How stress-free and wonderful to spend warm evening like that. :)

Grilled lambchops...that sounds so wonderful! perfect.... drooling. ha.

Zuzana said...

I love heat and humidity, but I agree with you, it is not bearable if there is no escape. My house too turns into a furnace; I have no AC and no fan. I have to get a fan installed:;)
Here we had a short heat wave too, I enjoyed every minute of it.;)
Love your new header picture.;)
Stay cool,
xo

G said...

Well, we're back in another heatwave, but it's supposed to break this afternoon. Come on! I can't wait!