Friday, August 13, 2010

Wild Leek Sausages

Ralph's Butcher in Norwood, (and Warkworth) Ontario offer a wide variety of sausage flavours. We drive back through Norwood after cottaging.

They come four in a packet for $5.74 and they're BIG. Don't be alarmed at the packaging date. They remained frozen until this weekend, when - on our one day of no humidity - I grilled them...



... and ate with leeks wilted with butter, some slivers of mint and a sprinkling of parmigiano.



The other two types of sausages I bought at Ralph's were under-seasoned. I wondered if that was a mistake, seeing as when you're eating sausages you expect a healthy dose of salt. But the wild leek variety were delicious, and even more amazing at room temperature. What is it about cold sausage that is so perfect? I love them either sliced on a salad, or made into a sandwich with very good wholewheat bread and butter (nothing else). That slightly spicy, chewy, fatty, yummy goodness is perfection in a picnic panino. Must... have... more...

3 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Yum! My mouth is watering! And what a beautiful presentation, too! I can almost smell them!

Ursula Pflug said...

I love Ralph's. James and Teresa don't make as many varieties as Ralph did, but they're fun.

G said...

Betsy, I need more!

Urusla: I don't know the proprietors, but they were very friendly and the sausages are so good!