Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Good Evening

Miserable, sleety and cold Toronto streets were melted from my conciousness once I was warmly esconced in my red, velvet chair in the Elgin Theatre. I don't recall them being so nice and squashy!

I was there for a performance of the Toronto production of Barrymore, starring Christopher Plummer, who had played the role of film/theatre legend John Barrymore several years ago on Broadway, for which he won the Tony. Plummer is over 80, and not to sound ageist, but the man is a marvel. He's sprightly, wry, sexy, bears impeccable timing and has great legs in tights. The script, by William Luce, was highly quotable, very witty... I shall have to see if I can purchase it. It's by turn sweetly sad, naughty and insightful. And, by the way, Plummer does a great Lionel Barrymore impression as well!

Afterwards, we ended up at Mercatto on Toronto Street... perfect for post-theatre dining. A glass of Prosecco, some light and perfect arancini (small balls of risotto filled with cheese and lightly fried), and the fluffiest gnocchi I've ever had in a delicious lamb/basil sauce. I slept like a baby.

4 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

What a wonderful evening! :)

Zuzana said...

Sounds like a splendid evening full of cultural and culinary experiences.
Christopher Plummer has always been my favorite actor, he has an aura of sophistication about him.
Furthermore he is a rare example on how to age with elegance and grace.;)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I slept like a baby too ... I woke up screaming every two hours and wet the bed ...

G said...

Betsy, Zuzana: I think Christopher Plummer as Captain von Trapp was about as good as it gets. :)

Dr. S: This had me - truly - laughing out loud.