Sunday, March 20, 2011

Unforgettable Monster

The National Theatre's live HD transmission of Frankenstein (written by Nick Dear, directed by Danny Boyle) is stunning. I urge you to attend the second transmission on March 31. If you know the real Frankenstein, the brilliant and tortured creation from the mind of the 19-year-old Mary Shelley, then I believe you'll love this. And even if you don't know the book, you'll get a pretty good idea of what Shelley's monster was all about.

Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller are sharing the roles of Frankenstein and his monster, an interesting experiment played onstage in the past by actors sharing Otello and Iago, or Don Giovanni and Leporello. The psychological possibilities are endless. This is great theatre, and makes for great post-theatre conversation. And I know this will haunt me for a long time to come.

I saw Cumberbatch as the monster, one of the finest performances I've seen in my life; and Miller was Frankenstein. In the second transmission the roles will be reversed.


4 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I would love this. Have you seen the Branagh film version?

Zuzana said...

Very interesting, that clip was almost haunting.;)
I recognize all the actors.;))
xoxo

AM said...

my first visit to your blog and i am loving it absolutely. :)

G said...

Tess: I have, and I really didn't like it. Branagh rushing about shirtless looking tanned and toned was just part of the departure from the book, which would have been okay, if he hadn't called it "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein."

Zuzana: They are very talented men.

Lines: Welcome and thank you for the visit!