Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Trees, do you Need a Hug?

I would love nothing more right now than to wrap my arms around a big tree and hug it. As readers of my blog know, I am a shameless tree hugger; indeed I have been accused of being a tree molester, but no, my love is very respectful. But I am city bound as I sit here at work, and feeling disconcerted as I hear from friends further afield that bulbs are peeking up above the ground. It's February 7!

As Europe is gripped in an unlikely freeze, we here in central-eastern Canada are having a very mild time of it. It maybe be La Niña or global warming, or just one of those things, but it has been an amazingly mild winter, and - of late - so sunny! I'm relieved, I have to say, but greater than my relief is my fear for those shooting bulbs that are likely to be blasted by a few more deep freezes, and the earth that will likely be very dry this spring, as we've had so little precipitation. What will it mean for all our crops this year? What about the water tables? I don't know much about these sort of things, but I'm feeling a little worried for my plant friends. Trees, do you need a hug? I'm coming!

3 comments:

will said...

If you visit, we have Doug Firs, Western Red Cedars, Hemlocks, Big Leaf Maples and Alders ...all are accessible (mostly) tho I suggest leather gloves for pushing through a few blackberry brambles.

For sport, you can use a chainsaw to remove dead trees and fallen logs.

The coyotes, bobcats and raccoons rarely are seen during the day, so generally that's not an issue. And the hawks and owls shouldn't bother you while your hugging the trees.

Zuzana said...

Did I tell you that I hugged a tree this last autumn? I even had a post planed about it but never got to post it.;) It was a large sequoia and I tell you, I felt it. Yes I felt whatever that is that people feel when they hug trees.;)
Indeed we are in deep freeze here and I have not dared to look at those spring bulbs that were a few cm above the ground in our garden in January. Peter tells me they will be fine so I trust him.;)
Have a great week dear G,
xoxo

G said...

Bill: Mmmmmm... trees. Lucky guy!

Zuzana: I hope your bulbs survive, and even more that you post about tree hugging. :)