Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Memories of the Knight of the Rose

Thinking of Der Rosenkavalier and my memories of it... today I watched this wonderful performance of the final trio, surely one of the most sublime moments in all music..

The Marschallin recognizes it's time to say goodbye to her much younger lover, Octavian. She reminds herself that,

"I promised to love him in the right way, even to love his being in love with another woman! But I did not expect to have to go through it so soon! There are many things in this world we never believe exist even when told about them. Only if it happens to you, then will you believe it, without knowing why. There stands the boy, and I stand here. With that girl over there, that stranger, he will find happiness - or what men believe happiness to be. God bless them!"

The young man, Octavian: "Something came, something happened. I want to ask, can it be? And this one question, I feel, is forbidden. I would like to ask, why is something trembling inside me? Was great injustice done? It's she that I may not ask that question of. And then I look at you, Sophie, and see only you and feel only your touch, Sophie. And then the only thing I know is - it's you I love."

The third point in this triangle, is the young woman, Sophie, the object of Octavian`s new love: "I feel as if I were in church. I think of holy things, and I'm full of fear. But I also think of not so holy things! I just don't know how I feel. I would like to kneel before that woman, and at the same time I would like to harm her in some way, because I feel that she's giving him to me and also taking away a part of him from me. I just don't know how I feel! I'dl like to understand everything, and I'd like not to understand a thing. I'd like to ask questions and not to ask questions. And I'm frightened. And I feel your touch and know only thing - it's you I love!"

Sublimely performed by Felicity Lott (Marschallin, Anne Sofie von Otter (Octavian) and Barbara Bonney (Sophie). Carlos Kleiber conducts the Wiener State Opera Orchestra in 1994.


No comments: