Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Cardhu

Here is my favourite scotch: Cardhu, distilled in Morayshire, Scotland. Just a few years ago the small batch that is created each year was bought up by the Asian market, so I discovered you can't get it here in North America anymore. Imagine my delight then last summer when my dear aunt and uncle - on their first visit to Canada - retrieved a bottle of it for me from their luggage. We'd just returned from picking them up from the airport and I don't think we'd even had our first cup of tea. They are so thoughtful - they had perused my last Christmas newsletter and apparently (I can't believe I did this) I had bemoaned the Cardhu situation in it. So, they ordered a bottle from their local liquor store. I photographed that same bottle tonight and as you see there is about an inch left. GULP! Actually, I don't gulp, I sip. Sigh. I also have a bottle of Dalwhinnie, but I must admit I haven't touched it since the Cardhu appeared in my drinks cabinet.

Last Christmas I decided that instead of cognac truffles I would make single malt scotch truffles and - yes - I used some of the Cardhu for that. Can you imagine? Dark chocolate, cream, Cardhu. What sublimity! Well, the thing was, as you know, I can hardly be trusted at Christmas to keep things like quantity and prices in my head, so I apparently made way too many truffles. Many were given as gifts, but I ended up freezing the uncoated truffle balls in little ziplock bags. Well, a few weeks ago I tried eating one to see how they'd held up. Magnficently! A momentary coolth in the mouth, followed by melting, warming Cardhu/chocolate heaven. Well... I've sampled over and over. Just a truffle every few days. And I keep finding more ziplock bags hidden under the frozen edamame. How many did I make?? I have no idea, but they are all going to a good home, one by one. Yum yum.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

About six years ago, an admirer of mine came all the way from Sweden to visit me. He arrived laden with all manner of gifts which he lavished upon me. He had bought up half of Harrod's during a stop in London and I was the delighted recipient of, among other things, a beautiful box inside of which were three little bottles of The Balvenie scotch.

One bottle was 10 years old, one was 15, and one was 20 or 25, I can't remember which.

Well, isn't it ironic---but I don't drink scotch!

So those bottles have been sitting cozy still in that original box, all these years. Once, I came close to giving them away, but the box is so darling, with a metal clasp, that I decided to keep them (and it).

The Balvenie website says:
"The exceptional quality of The Balvenie is due to the fact that the Balvenie Distillery retains and nurtures a high level of craftsmanship that other malt whisky producers no longer employ: nowhere else will you find a distillery that still grows its own barley, still malts in its own traditional floor maltings and still employs coopers to tend the casks and a coppersmith to maintain the stills."

Well that's all Greek to me, and it does seem a pity to have in my possession something for which I really have no use. It seems that none of my guests like scotch either....perhaps I am hanging about with the wrong sort of people?

Anyhoo, Ginny, next time you are over, I will haul out my little scotch treasure and you can do a little taste test, of the (by now) 16 year old, 21 year old, and 31 year old scotch. Woo hoo!

Toodles,
Ra Ra

Anonymous said...

I would love to do a taste test!!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Edmonton;

Being true to our roots, my husband and I enjoy Alberta Premium, a rye whisky brand made in Canada.

The Scottish malts have a milder flavour. J&B is another brand that inspires tremendous loyalty.

Moira

Anonymous said...

I am ignorant of many drinks and have never tried rye, although there is one gentleman from my past who in particular was always trying to ply me with it.

I shall have a taste next time I am out at a pub, which - with any luck - is tomorrow night!