Saturday, September 15, 2007

Quote of the Day

"Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?"

Billie Burke as Glinda, the Good Witch of the North in The Wizard of Oz (1939)

I say this line quite often as a bad Billie Burke impression in an attempt to amuse/annoy my dad, for whom this movie ranks up there with his top three.

"Are you a good weetch? Orrr a bed weetch?"

As a little girl I loved Glinda's puffy pink dress with all the sparkles: the height of glamour as far as I was concerned. I would have never believed then - and still find it hard to believe - that she was 54 at the time. Billie Burke had married Florenz Ziegfeld of the famous Follies and had retired from acting, but - with the Wall Street crash of 1929 and the loss of their wealth - was forced to return to her career, to the delight and relief of munchkins everywhere.

No comments: