Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dark Brown Food/Drink Substances in the News!

1. Here is a happy picture from yesterday evening: a can of Guinness poured into my 007 glass, waiting to be savoured. And savour it I did. The creamy head, the smooth, heavy brew. I wonder if Bond ever drank Guinness? I bet he didn't.

2. HELP!!! I found today that earlier in the year, a limited amount of Guinness-flavoured Marmite was created. HELP!!! I need to try this! While I scour the internet for details, please let me know if you have any information. Guinness + Marmite...................... THUD.

3. The debate is raging out of control! Apparently, Paddington Bear is part of a new advertising campaign to promote Marmite. Now we all know that Paddingtons's favourite food is marmalade. He always keeps a jar in the suitcase he carries around, in case of emergencies. So for the Paddington image to be used to promote Marmite is seen as a betrayal by his fans and yet a triumph for Marmite-lovers everywhere. I - like so many I am sure - fall into both categories. He's growing up, his tastes are evolving. And why can't he love both marmalade and marmite? And as he was born in darkest Peru, you have to wonder if the makers of Marmite aren't saying "Hey, you don't have to be born in the British Isles to like it." The slogan remains the same though: "You either love it or hate it." See the little marmite jar beside him and the marmite-cheese-lettuce sandwich in his paw? Okay, I'm having that for breakfast. My mouth is watering.

UPDATE: Breakfast was wonderful. By the way, in the ad Paddington uses the new squeezy bottle of Marmite to drizzle over his bread. I advise not to drizzle so boldly if you are new to Marmite. As I have said before, a thin smear is all you should try the first time.

No comments: