Sunday, September 7, 2008

Blog Princess G Flips!

To celebrate Rock Flipping Day 2008, as first discovered by BPG at Osage + Orange, here are my activities:

I went down to the old railway track, the only rough bit of land around here:



I found my rock!



I flipped it carefully:



There were a whack of ants, all carrying bits and pieces back and forth, doing their anty thing:



The picture doesn't do them justice. I replaced the rock very carefully afterwards. Watching the ants brought to mind that fine and disturbing film, Angels and Insects (1995), based on the A.S. Byatt novel, with the wonderful Mark Rylance in the lead role. I saw it at the Carleton Cinema when it first came out. After the movie my friend and I walked and walked; we had to, to let it all settle in our minds. It was so good to walk and talk and discuss such a riveting and thought-provoking work. I read the book after, but weirdly enough, I can't remember much about it, although Possession stays with me always.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the ants thought.

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I'm pretty sure ants will inherit the Earth!

Anonymous said...

I used to love rock flipping when I was a girl. Haven't thought of it in years!

Adore "Possession"!

Anonymous said...

Glad you dropped by to get the apple cake recipe! Hope you enjoy it, it's so yummy!

Anonymous said...

I must revisit Angels and Insects - I remember it left a vivid impression on me when I first saw it years ago... uncomfortable and powerful - brilliant film.

I loved the rock flipping. I might just flip one... or two... always amazed at what can survive under that crushed world.

Anonymous said...

Rock flipping.. who would have thunk it? :) Good idea!

Anonymous said...

Pop over to the birdbath, I've given you an award...

Anonymous said...

Possession should be on my favourite book and film lists.

Anonymous said...

Possesion is one of those books one can return to over and again...perfect for a trans-Pacific flight. I like taking familiar friends on such journeys, then if one dozes or loses place it's not such a drama, cos the story is already 'implanted' as it were...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting everyone!

LL: Ohhhh! I'm coming over to receive my award! Hee hee.

Regarding Possession.... I shall have to blog on this properly upon my return from the hols. :)