Thursday, September 4, 2008

Quote of the Day

"What should he say when he saw his Jodha again? If he were to say simply, 'I'm back', or, 'It is I', might she feel able to call him in return by that second person singular, that tu which was reserved for children, lover and gods? And what would that mean? That he was like her child, or godlike, or simply the lover of whom she too had dreamed, whom she had dreamed into being just as eagerly as he had dreamed her? Might that little word, that tu turn out to be the most arousing word in the language? 'I,' he practiced under his breath. Here 'I' am. 'I' love you. Come to 'me'.

From The Enchantress of Florence, by Salman Rushdie, 2008.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have mercy!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quote and earrings? We must be on the same wave length!! I am psychic, you know, but of the "Aunt Agatha" variety. :P

Anonymous said...

I want those earrings!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. G: Indeed!

Willow: Great taste abounds!

Betsy: If you're like me, I'm a bit of a magpie, I LOVE twinkly things. If you do too, watch this blog: there'll be more earrings on display after today's visit to the bead shops. :)