Monday, December 8, 2008

Don't be Frightened of the Fruitcake!

I'm not sure where this recipe came from, I just know it makes my favourite fruitcake. This is fruitcake for people who don't like fruitcake. Not too sweet, light in colour, and deliciously moist and with a heavenly fragrance. I am salivating just smelling the cakes I baked this weekend. Oh yes, that's the other benefit: you don't have to remember to start these months in advance.


Sherried Raisin Fruitcake

Moist dark fruitcakes usually need a longtime to age, but this one slices well in three days after baking. Nevertheless the flavour mellows the longer the fruitcake ages.

2 cups dark sultana raisins (Thompson)
1-1/2 cups currants
1 cup seeded raisins (Lexia)
2/3 cup sherry
1/2 cup grated carrot
1 tbsp each of grated lemon and orange zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp each of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tbsp fancy molasses
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup ground almonds

In a bowl combine the Thompson raisins, currants, Lexia raisins, sherry, carrot, and lemon and orange zests; cover with plastic film and let stand overnight.



The next day, toss the fruit mixture with 1/4 cup of the flour.

Grease an 8" springform pan; line the base and sides with parchment paper, then grease the paper.

Sift together the remaining flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt; set aside.



In a large bowl, cream the butter with the brown sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in molasses and vanilla; add almonds.





Stir in the flour mixture, one third at a time; stir in the fruit mixture.



Turn into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.

Set a shallow baking dish half full of boiling water on the bottom rack of your oven. This will help keep your cake moist. Bake the cake on centre rack in a 250F (120C) oven for about five hours or until a paring knife inserted into centre comes out dry, covering loosely with greased parchment if it begins to crack. Let it cool in the pan on a rack until the centre is completely cool. Remove from the pan; wrap it well and store for at least 3 days or up to 1 month. Makes about 30 slices.

MY NOTE: Nowadays I make three small cakes out of the recipe. Takes about 2.5 hours and they are just more manageable as small gifts. This one below is one of those three cakes!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so delicious, I will simply have to try and make this.
I LOVE your new Christmas décor, very seasonal and tasteful.:)

Anonymous said...

Yum! I can almost smell that! Fruitcake reminds me of my childhood. :)

Anonymous said...

Now this looks like a wonderful fruitcake! Not at all like those I remember. I might just have to take this recipe back to the Manor with me, BPG. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Let me know if you try the recipe... :)

Anonymous said...

I've already made two kinds of fruitcake this Christmas season . . . but now I want to try yours, too. (And one from Delia Smith's Christmas cookbook!)

And I didn't even like fruitcake as a child.

Anonymous said...

Bee: Sounds like you have fruitcake fever, and I think that's a fine state of affairs. Thanks for the visit. I'm coming to see you now!