Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Quote of the Day

"All that other stuff, all that history? To hell with it, right? Forget the Alamo."

Elizabeth Peña as Pilar Cruz in Lone Star (1996)

A three-hour meeting after work leaves me craving the American south-southwest. And if I can't get there now, at least I can visit it through one of the truly great films. If you haven't seen it, I really recommend it. I see it twice a year maybe, and I get something more from it each time. Chris Cooper, Elizabeth Peña, Kris Kristofferson, Frances McDormand, Matthew McConaughey, Gordon Tootoosis, the great, hot dry expanse of Texas, the masterful directing/writing/editing hand of John Sayles, a soundtrack I never stop playing and an ending that takes my breath away and redefines the notion of love.

5 comments:

R.A.D. Stainforth said...

This is a film I have been meaning to watch for a long time.

Maybe tonight.

G said...

Dr. S: I await your review!

phil said...


I enjoyed Lone Star.

Unfortunately I recorded over it Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? Which is a completely different type of love story.

But a great film nonetheless.

Sandy said...

Just added it to my Netflix queue.

G said...

Phil: Two great movies.

Sandy: Oh, excellent!