Thursday, March 18, 2010

Insanely Unfair, and a too-Often Told Tale

Today I heard that a young woman I know has succumbed to cancer. It was a rare form, and in one that young (she was in her very early 30s), it took hold very potently. She fought it traditionally for a year, then bravely informed her husband that she would forego chemo, which had made her life hell, and live whatever life she had left with quality and dignity. They took on alternate therapies and the last time I saw her, last September at our cottage holiday, she looked like a million dollars. She shone over our festivities with such style and I thanked her for bringing some badly needed glamour to our happily scruffy group. With delight she pointed out that her slinky top was from this garage sale, her jeans from Goodwill, her earrings from another yard sale, etc., with nothing costing more than $5. She looked as though a professional stylist had made it all happen. And only her smooth, lovely bald head would give you any indication she had been, or was still ill.

For one so very beautiful she had a surprisingly powerful personality, a great sense of humour, and had chosen to live outside the big city, in a very small community where she found a wonderful home with her husband and dogs.

I've sighed many of those long, shuddering sighs today, and all the petty problems seem so very petty tonight.

Oh, for comfort for her loved ones! This really is insanely unfair, but such is life it seems.







From the top: sunset in the Kawarthas; sun on the water on the same lake; bulbs just outside the front door this afternoon

8 comments:

Audubon Ron said...

Beautiful thoughts. Thank you for sharing your heart. Sorry for your loss. I can only hope to be remembered as tenderly by a friend.

JJ said...

I have an answer to this, but since I don't actually KNOW anything, I'll just say it was a good post.

I like your style and I like your inner beauty. I'd like to follow, but you don't seem to have followers enabled. Not that it matters.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It sounds like she had a sparkling soul. I'm sure she will continue to shine like the sun on the water in your photo.
The photo of the flowers sprouting new life shows such contradiction to your loss. Take care.
BTW...I found your page through Betsy's lovely blog.

R.A.D. Stainforth said...

Sad news.

But as Peter Cook once said, without cancer we wouldn’t have a way to die would we? I wouldn’t have thought of that if I’d been creating the universe … cancer? No, I’d have left that out.

G said...

Ron: What a lovely comment. My friend: thank you!

JJ: I have some followers so I think it's possible, but I don't know how as I haven't officially followed anyone myself. But I do visit a lot of my favourite blogs regularly and I'll be over to discover yours. Thank you for the kind remark.

Lady Cat: What a beautiful comment.. particularly your reference to her sparkling soul and the water. I was thinking along the same lines. One year the mother of a friend of ours died, and it was fall. We gave her a large basket of bulbs and so that spring, when some months had passed, she'd see the new growth and hopefully feel some solace. The new growth of spring is a wonder isn't it? I'll be over to discover your blog!

Dr. S: I so agree. I'd have left cancer out too, if I'd been the one to create the universe too. That and naked mole rats. Hope all is well with you, and it's good to see you again!

Betsy Brock said...

Oh dear...I'm so very sorry! What a beautiful tribute you gave to her here. She sounded wonderful and brave.

Hilary said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm sure she's smiling at this beautiful tribute.

G said...

Betsy and Hilary: Thank you! The world lost a very special woman way too soon.