Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Oak Lake Trail, 2011

Walking my favourite trail during a long cottage weekend... //UPDATE: To clarify, this was about six weeks ago! Very few leaves left now.

... we marveled at how that magnificent Canadian Shield granite seems to burst out of the ground at intervals...

... baby trees!




Speyer's cucullia caterpillar...










When I die, I've decided I'd like my ashes to be scattered here, in a shallow lake on the trail.




We lay on the warm moss and gazed up into the trees...




In parts the granite looked polished...




Someone had made a meal of a Blue Jay...




Mossy skirt...




You can see in parts where the shield was gouged out by retreating glaciers...






Trees finding a way...




More trees... light and dark, sun and shadow. I can never get enough.






Tuning fork.




I decided this is where two yetis had married... the framing structure was probably decorated with garlands of flowers.






Nature had made a moss-covered stone bench for the happy couple.






A pile of sticks for the bonfire.




Remember my little inukshuk
?




I visited the same spot. These are the remnants, three years later.


3 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

how lovely...that would be a nice spot for a wedding!

Zuzana said...

Did you take these images recently? If so, I can not believe you still have flowers.;) Here the nature is all barren by now.
Lovely images, lovely sentiments and it must have been a lovely walk. And I love your new header.;))
xoxo

G said...

Zuzana: no, late September. Sigh...