Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Fork in the Road

Is there one coming?

Yes.

Is it scary?

No. It's not going to be very obvious either, to the outside world.

I heard a brilliant man talk recently about the time we spend every day of our lives on things that are not really important. And compare that to the things that are. We are here for such a short time. I'm always comforted by the thought that life is short, but WIDE.

My concept of wide up to now has been to do as much as possible.

I think that's a mistake. And so I am cutting back the things that just don't matter, and concentrating on those that do. How to decide what goes into which category? Some of it is obvious; some, less so. There's the rub.

I'm very lucky to have good people to talk to about this. It's not my way to talk about it much, but a thought shared can ripple outward like a disturbance in a pond... and when those ripples hit their mark and come back, it can be truly magical what does in fact come to you.

If I have any profound discoveries, I will share them here.

(The picture was taken by the lake in the Kawarthas last summer.)

  

2 comments:

will said...

Is there anything other than the journey? Ah, but the details.

G said...

It's just the journey. I guess I have to work on how many details I care to address.