Friday, October 19, 2007

Quote of the Day

"You smell like a real man."

Jean Simmons as Sister Sharon to Burt Lancaster as the title role of Elmer Gantry (1960).

I finally saw this movie on PBS tonight, after reading about it for years. It tells the story of Elmer Gantry, a fast-talking, self-indulgent salesman who becomes a revival preacher in the 1920s. I was spellbound from the first moment. Burt Lancaster is his usual brilliant self: magnetic, larger-than-life, with such range, such manly grace, and able to successfully play the role of an irresistible rotter, a truly likeable rogue. I think Shirley Jones won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role as the hooker Lulu Baines. I'd had no idea Jean Simmons was in it at all and she was wonderful as Sharon Falconer.

And yes, I finished the first scarf.

No comments: