Sunday, July 13, 2008

Breakfast with BPG

No cottage visit is complete without these pancakes which are my favourites ever. They are from Pancakes A to Z by Marie Simmons (Houghton Mifflin Company, 1997).

This morning, to assuage the intensity with which we miss our holiday, I made these, serving them with rashers of bacon and lashings of hot tea. I can almost hear the lake water lapping at the shore and the morning call of the loon.


"Luscious Lemon Pancakes"
(Makes 12)

3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup cottage cheese
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp grated lemon zest

In a large bowl, combine egg yolks, flour, cottage cheese, butter, sugar, salt and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the batter until just blended. Heat your griddle or pan until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Brush with a thin coat of vegetable oil. For each pancake pour a 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle. Cook until the tops are covered with small bubbles and the bottoms are lightly browned. Carefully flip your pancakes. These cook quickly. Repeat with the remaining batter. You can keep the cooked ones warm in a low oven. Serve with sliced fruit if you like and maple syrup (which you can warm up if you like).

MY NOTES: We were talking after and thinking that, as little as two tablespoons of sugar is, we might even lower it to one next time, as you really hardly need it at all. But then, we don't have very sweet teeth. :) AND, of course we add maple syrup. Also, I got more than the prescribed 12 pancakes, more like 16.


The gathered ingredients:




Plus melted butter:




Little bubbles begin to form on top:




One flipped pancake:




Finished pancakes are kept warm in the oven while the bacon cooks:




Yum yum:




One more picture: Due to an "incident" with some red food colouring some while back, I can always find my spatula in my crowded second drawer down:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first week home from a holiday has to be the worst thing ever!! Hope the pancakes helped, and thanks so much for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever had lemon pancakes before! They sound wonderful...jotting this recipe down right now...yummy! Thanks, BPG...wish I was there to taste yours hot off the griddle! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't buy that story at all.

I've heard about you, Princess "The Spatula" G.
But I don't blame you. No telling what it's like when tempers flare in a 120° kitchen.

Anonymous said...

Those look absolutely scrumptious, Ace Girl Chef! Oh, and sorry to hear about the run in with the food coloring. Tisk. Tisk.

Anonymous said...

Funny that you're writing about pancakes--I just took the ex's kid out to eat last night, and he ordered chocolate chip pancakes. Okay, I can kind of get behind that, but he also requested chocolate syrup to pour over them. The resulting muddy-looking mess was one of the most unappetizing things I've ever seen--even the wait staff expressed alarm--but if I'm honest, my eight-year-old self would probably have done the same thing. And loved it, of course!

Anonymous said...

Lemon pancakes! I never would have though of that, but it sounds wonderful. Perfect for summer. Sorry the vacations over. You always have the sweet memories.

Anonymous said...

Your pancake batter looks a lovely fluffy consistency.
I think we all have one piece of equipment that's a bit battle scarred!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I like my bacon nice and cripy or even better - peameal bacon :) mmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

I've seen murder weapons less disturbing than your spatula.

Pancakes. Mmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Pamela Terry and Edward: The best part of coming home is warm welcomes from friends both bloggy and otherwise, like your dear selves!

Betsy: I hope you enjoy them half as much as I've enjoyed your recipes.

Phil: Ya blew my cover dagnabit!

Willow: Yeah... "food colouring"... yeah, that's the ticket...

Edward: I remember eating Brighton rock too, great lumps of hardened sugar... what the hell was that all about? Oh yes... being 8 years old. Hee hee.

Coco: I deal with post-holiday blues by... planning the next one! Hee hee.

CC: Yes... only the one mind (honest guv). The mixing up of the egg whites first certainly does the job of fluffication very nicely.

Dr. M: Mmmmmmmm... peameal (Homer Simpson drooling sounds)

Steve: Yes, I found the pancakes most effective at distracting from the stained spatula.

Anonymous said...

I have to try these lemon pancakes...YUM!!! And, I wager you might attract more than a few Hobbits with this breakfast:-)....