Thursday, July 10, 2008

Magical Holiday Visitor

Sitting on the dock one day after swimming, this large dragonfly landed on the top of my book. The book is The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson and I have almost finished it after many moons of reading. I've enjoyed it (full review to come later) but I just haven't been reading much of late.




My bookmark shows a detail of Liebe (1895) by Gustav Klimt. The dragonfly seemed very taken with it, gently gnawing on the edge of the paper.



When the sun emerged from a passing cloud, his head showed a bright emerald green.




When I removed the bookmark from the book and placed it on the arm of my chair, he settled on it for a few minutes more.




From the side his little head looked almost human. It brought to mind a poster I have of the wonderful Art Nouveau exhibit I visited in Washington in 2001 at the National Gallery of Art. The image is a "corsage ornament" by Lalique and made of gold, enamel, chrysoprase, moonstones, and diamonds. It measures 9" x 10.75" with an articulated spine and wings hinged to flutter.

From the National Gallery of Art's website:

Emerging from the jaws of a chimera (part serpent, part lion) is a woman/ dragonfly. The dragonfly was an especially popular art nouveau motif, a favorite of Lalique, Louis Comfort Tiffany and Émile Gallé, all of whom would have seen examples in Japanese art. Probably its popularity in France grew after translation of a series of Japanese poems (Judith Gautier, Poëmes de la libellule [Poems of the Dragonfly], 1885).

But why this conflation of dragonfly and woman? On one level, the two are connected through language: the small iridescent blue and bronze dragonflies, called "damselflies" in English, are demoiselles (young ladies) in French. But probably of greater significance is the idea of metamorphosis. Interest in biological transformations had been spurred by Darwin's theories of evolution. Yet even this fails to offer satisfactory explanation. Here is a very different sort of metamorphosis, more psychic than physical. It reveals something of fin-de-siècle views on the nature of women - of women as an embodiment of nature, instinctual and seductive.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to say that is the most beautiful post card I have ever seen! It's breathtaking...and of course, the dragon fly is beautiful, too. Ooooh, I'd love to have that Tiffany piece!!!

Did I mention that it is so nice to have you back?

Anonymous said...

Your little vacation frined is beautiful! You have to slow down life a bit in order to experience something like this, huh!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a symbol of good luck to me!

Anonymous said...

I've always thought they looked remarkably feminine. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Too beautiful. I happen to love dragonflies, as you might know.

You've done a wonderful job in capturing this one on incredibly interesting backgrounds. Just lovely.

Anonymous said...

A literate dragonfly....how cool!

Anonymous said...

The corsage ornament pictured here is beautiful, but the real McCoy is even more so. Nature always trumps art, n'est pas?

Anonymous said...

Willow: it's good to be back esp with beautiful blogs like yours to peruse.

Betsy: Oh yes... and that's one thing I'm good at.

Coco: I like your thinking!

Pamela Terry and Edward: I concur!

Hilary: I just checked out your post and am truly amazed at your detailed photographs and inspiring patience. That is truly a great post!

Dave: I believe he had a teeny weeny copy of Coles Notes for Paradise Lost tucked under the thorax, or whatever it is.

Lavinia: you speak wisely Birdbath Lady, nature will always trump art for me... I'm just so grateful as a species that we have both... the original and the attempt to recreate the original in such inspired ways.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a lovely blog!

I came here from Mrs. G at Derfwad Manor after seeing your blog name. Sigh. I'm another blogger named g. Now I really know I have to change my blog name.