Monday, July 21, 2008

Well, it makes ME feel young!

Here's the lowdown on the fossil:

It's a Favositid coral, from the family of Favosites. It is more commonly known as honeycomb coral (for obvious reasons) and is from the Devonian period, making it - wait for it...

380 million years old!!

Apparently, during the Devonian period, southwestern Ontario was situated just south of the equator or thereabouts. It was covered by a shallow, tropical sea... hence finding coral in such a land-locked location.

I was stunned! I sort of still am. I gather these are not uncommon, especially when the very nice scientist at the ROM failed to offer me millions of dollars for it.





Directly from the museum, we retired to a pub and toasted the fossil's age, with three pints of excellent, locally-brewed stout. The waiter was bemused.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, dagnabit, Ace Girl! You gave it a good try. At least you ended up with a cool fossil and some good stout. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, that is OLD! :) WHat a nice little artifact you have there!
The museaum didn't try to have you donate it? ;)

Anonymous said...

When I read your blog I immediately went to Ebay in order to determine the fair market price for your fossil.

I did it partially in jest - I mean... fossils? On Ebay?

Well... after digging through nearly 2726 items I have determined (in my professional opinion) that you truly have a rare piece of Earth history...

And if I had a million dollars, I would buy it... just to make the story complete.

Anonymous said...

Gives new meaning to the expression "as old as the hills".

I think the fossil would look very nice mounted and displayed.

Anonymous said...

And, it's really pretty! Congratulations on a real treasure!

Anonymous said...

Pretty amazing looking fossil. It looks like a wasps nest, but its a coral! Your blog is very cool.

I came here after seeing your post at Mrs. G's. I'm another blogger named g. I think I have to figure out a new screen name!

Anonymous said...

Holy hell!

Anonymous said...

Seems to me like a day very well spent. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, guess it doesn't make one feel old after all. I shall talk to this young scientist to inquire why he did not offer you millions. Did he not know WHO he was dealing with?

Anonymous said...

Willow, I tell you that's some fine stout!

Betsy, no they didn't dagnabit. I guess it's not that rare which is also surprising!

Woodchips, thanks for the thought at least!

LL: It's got pride of place on the top shelf in my bedroom, next to other more personal treasures.

PT & E: Thanks! It's a keeper. Hope Edward is keeping cool this long hot summer... :)

G, Gs unite! Welcome, I'm so glad you came to visit. I shall be visiting you!

Mrs. G, an honour to have you visit!

Dave, yes, and a day well ended. :)

Dr. M, well I was travelling incognito. But what is this assumption that the scientist was young and male? :)