Monday, November 3, 2008

Food and Laughter... What's not to Love?



I was at a fundraiser last week at the Winter Garden Theatre and worked my way conscientiously through the delicious food stations that were set up. One of the appetizers that was brought to me as we were sitting with one of the many tasty plates we consumed was this little morsel. Well, not so little really. My companion made the clever point that in some restaurants, this bacon-wrapped sirloin bit of heaven (topped with truffle cream) would be the main course. And you'd get to pay handsomely for it. Here it was just an appetizer and as I type about it my mouth waters... do you know the feeling when your mouth waters and your teeth sort of feel soft and achey? I'm such a carnivore. GrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr. The actual show was very good, all stand-up, with Mike Wilmot as a stand-out stand-up, among several, and headliner Lewis Black topping the bill. Er... excuse me? How did I not know about this man before? My (face) cheeks were aching the next day from the laughter. Of course several glasses of wine certainly got the audience in a giggly mood. I love outrage and Mr. Lewis is a master (and my new secret boyfriend).

Then I roasted a chicken, and tried brining for the first time. This lovely organic specimen came out juicy and crispy. Mmmmmm...

The chicken in his brine:




Mr. Chicken all ready to roast:




Oh boy!




New food fun of the week took place on Saturday when I baked up a batch of Betsy's soft and chewy ginger cookies. They are delicious! The recipe makes heaps... something like six or seven dozen. I lost count as we sampled them... hee hee! Thanks Betsy. You are such a brilliant baker! I downed - er - a couple - while delving into a new book on Sunday afternoon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to come to that book sale....I could spend all day at those! Mr. Chicken looks delish...yum! And the cookies....so glad you liked them!

Anonymous said...

Betsy, those cookies are so good! Thank you yet again. :)

Anonymous said...

New secret boyfriend! Do tell. I love to brine chicken and turkey.

Anonymous said...

Glamah: Basically, the secret boyfriend is a hot celebrity who doesn't know I exist, but I love him anyway. See Mrs. G's magnificent blog for her lowdown on the joy of secret boyfriends:

http://derfwadmanor.blogspot.com/search?q=secret+boyfriend+%2316