Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I'll Take One Super Power Please



And if I could it would be time travel, although I'm unlikely to be blessed in that particular respect.

The young 'uns have Harry Potter... well, the old ones do too for that matter, I've read them all... but the grown up ladies have an equivalent, a series of books, each new instalment of which we lay in patient wait for. (Boy, that was an awkward sentence). And our wait, for now, is over. Diana Gabaldon's Echo in the Bone, the seventh novel in her Outlander series is out as of a couple of weeks ago. Hooray! I am in the midst of it. 120 pages in and two saucy scenes to offset too much military action, so all is good. And yes, time travel is at the heart of this book. Also full of action, violence, sex, and heartache: what's not to love?

I saw The Time Traveler's Wife (2009) last week, at last, just before it disappeared from movie theatres. This adaptation of Audrey Niffenegger's novel (which I loved) was a bit lighter than expected and I don't like what they did with the ending, but it was well done, and visually stunning. It was fun to see bits of Toronto playing the part of Chicago. If you see it, in the scene after Henry first meets Clare in the library, and they're sitting in a park gazebo kissing, well, they're right here, in the gardens of St. James Cathedral.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

I need to go back and read the first four in the series. That's how far I got. I found each one got progressively less exciting. Are these last three worthwhile?

Zuzana said...

Imagine that I have never heard off her. Although it surely seems like a novel I would like; even the cover is intriguing.;)
Love the picture, great composition.;)

will said...

Time travel is an interesting concept. I've thought about some and one thought is - no matter what past era you go to - you would probably stand out. Things like clear skin, good teeth, healthy appearance, groomed hair - would be a give away that you aren't from past centuries.

Depending upon the where and when hopefully you aren't taken for a witch and burned at the stake!

G said...

Hilary: Well, I can understand why you might lose steam, they're long books and good use an editor (as JenStar often comments). I'm in for the long haul and I think it's worth it. Let me know if you pick them up again! :)

Protege: A romantic such as yourself would love these books I think! The first is entitled "Outlander" but it was called "Cross Stitch" in the U.K.

Bill Stankus: A few days of no preening and I'd look a sight anyway, but that's an important thing to bear in mind. My height would be a give away. 5'9.5". Bloody giantess in centuries past!