Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Cottage Memories: Wildlife

I love dragonflies, so it's handy that they like to perch and rest while I take my pictures.

On the arm of my chair...




On a journal...




On the rug I was sunbathing on...




This heron was very bold too. It was wonderful watching him fish off the swimming platform.




The beaver was seen by one of the party when out kayaking one day, but I just saw his house.



From the car I saw a young wolf, which was a thrilling moment. Later, a friend who lives in the area and came to visit, informed us of a recent development: wolves have been breeding with coyotes and what has emerged is a pack animal, like the wolf, with the smarts of the coyote. When describing the animal I saw, he felt sure that it was an example of this hybrid. We also saw lots of wild turkey, some groundhogs, a couple of thankfully bashful water snakes and, of course, a whole slew of chipmunks. Every evening the bats emerged to skim their way across the water of the lake, eating up all the insects. Thanks bats!

4 comments:

will said...

So, put on some camo, take your camera and find the wolf-coyote. National Geo is waiting!

marc aurel said...

Dragonflies, apart from their beauty, are very useful to us humans. They feast on mosquitoes.

Hilary said...

Wonderful post with some of my favourite critters.. particularly the dragonflies and heron.

G said...

Bill: When you mentioned the camo, I wondered where you were headed next! Relieved that you suggested a camera... :)

Marc: I never really knew that, but it makes sense.

Hilary: Thank you Hilary, that means a lot coming from such an ace girl photographer as yourself!