Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Everyman

In London, in the 1980s, my favourite cinema was The Everyman, the world's first repertoire cinema and where I saw - for the first time - such films as La Belle et la Bête (1946), Days of Heaven (1978), Umberto D (1952), Barry Lyndon (1975), Betty Blue (1986), One from the Heart (1982), The Right Stuff (1983), Les enfants du Paradis (1945), Paris, Texas (1984) and - in one epic afternoon and evening - Bicycle Thieves (1948), Miracle in Milan (1951) and La Strada (1954).

I remember the Everyman as being a bit shabby but they sold good tea and very healthy sandwiches (handy when you're doing a four- or five-hour film marathon.) Now I see it's been tarted up into a more upscale venue, the Everyman Cinema Club. I'll have to visit it when next I visit London.

One day (on the double-bill with La Belle et la Bête) I saw a 40-minute film Partie de campagne (1936) by Jean Renoir. It's apparently part of a longer film he never completed. It tells the story of a Parisian shop-owner who comes to the country for a day's holiday with his flirtatious wife, shy daughter and unfortunate shop clerk. The daughter feels an intense attraction for a local man, while her mother flirts outrageously with the man's friend. But she is meant for the shop clerk. And so it goes... it's about missed chances, family duty, and regret. It's funny, moving, and truly tragic. The dreamy shots along the river and the river bank still come to my mind over 20 years later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those Vittorio De Sica films are great. And I wish I could've seen Days of Heaven on the big screen

~phil

Anonymous said...

I love how De Sica went from those films to works like The Party. What a range. I think Umberto D was based on his father. I can hardly remember the ending, so voluminously was I crying.

As for Days of Heaven... sigh... that scenery... all filmed in near Drumheller, Alberta (standing in for Texas). It's on my list of places to visit for that reason alone. The recent made-for-tv Virginian (Bill Pullman) had Drumheller standing in for wherever that was set. Oklahoma I think. Either way it's stunning. Those great expanses of prairie. That huge sky. You must have a repertoire cinema where you live Phil. I bet they take requests, many do! Hee hee.