Sunday, December 2, 2007

Chemistry and Cranberry Relish

I was watching a bit of Out of Sight (1998) last night. It's a great example of on-screen chemisty, which is really so rare. I've heard theories that it helps if the actors don't like each other much, or that it's best between off-screen lovers. Watching the movie last night, I realized how important it is that it is photographed well. There was a scene (in the bar) with the camera going back and forth between George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez, just seeing one face at a time. They could have been talking to anyone, but - with the camera's loving eye very close up - they both looked enrapt. When the shot finally showed them together, leaning towards each other over the table, the sense of attaction was intensified. These are two actors who work with their whole bodies, not just talking heads. It makes a change from the dullness in so many other movies.

As a complete contrast, I watched Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) on Friday. This had to be one of the worst examples of screen chemistry ever. Okay, the movie is not particularly a love story, but this couple is supposed to be in love. Myrna Loy and Cary Grant had about as much chemistry as two mismatched salt and pepper shakers. I wish I could watch The Thin Man (1934) right now, see how it worked (the machinations I mean) with her and William Powell. And think of Cary Grant and his on-screen chemistries. He had plenty of those, and one of the best was with Eva Marie Saint in North by Northwest (1959). Cary as Roger, Eva Marie as Eve:

Roger Thornhill: The moment I meet an attractive woman, I have to start pretending I have no desire to make love to her.

Eve Kendall: What makes you think you have to conceal it?

Roger Thornhill: She might find the idea objectionable.

Eve Kendall: Then again, she might not.

Now, I'm back to writing up menus and shopping lists for Christmas. The baking list is quite manageable as I tend to forage for and store baking supplies like an over-grown, chocolate-obsessed squirrel all year. For Christmas dinner itself, we are forgoing turkey and having a ham and a raised game pie instead. For the latter, I'm using Delia Smith's recipe. It's quite mouth watering. And also, making her cranberry-orange relish, which is good with many different meats. The whole meal will be basically served at room temperature (another departure). We'll see how it goes. All I have to prepare this week is the gingerbread (anatomically correct ones for the tree and all sorts for eating) and also the Christmas cakes (which are not the really dark ones you make months in advance, but a much lighter, sherried fruit cake that is really moist - a fruit cake for people who don't like fruit cake.)

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: