Sunday, November 29, 2009

A New Thanksgiving Tradition

"The heart is a resilient little muscle."

Woody Allen as Mickey in Hannah and Her Sisters (1986).


As our American friends celebrated Thanksgiving, I gave thanks for the great film makers with a viewing of my number one movie, Woody Allen's masterpiece, Hannah and Her Sisters.



This film has it all: a great script, a dream ensemble cast, the location heaven of New York, tears and laughter, and the most sublime movie soundtrack ever. And... the plot is framed by three Thanksgiving dinners. I'm thinking this might be a new tradition for me.

I have to watch it at least once a year, and each time - like my number three movie, Lone Star - I discover some new subtlety.

10 comments:

Zuzana said...

Hmm, can you believe that I have not seen this movie? Nor the Lone Star. If these are your favorites, I better pick them up during the holidays.;)
xo
PS: I am dedicating my tomorrow (Tuesday) post to you.;)xo

Audubon Ron said...

Audubon Ron is a fan of Woody Allen.

Tess Kincaid said...

When my daughter was home last week, she mentioned that she wanted to watch this movie. We got busy, though, and forgot! Rats.

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

I've certainly heard about this movie, but I've yet to see it. I haven't eaten a pomegranate either. There is always so much new to do, lol!

Betsy Brock said...

Would you believe I've never seen it?

G said...

Mmm, don't you love long nights and great movies?

phil said...


Max von Sydow in a WA comedy is worth the price of admission alone. :)

I never thought of it as a great Thanksgiving flic, but now that you mention it...hmmm.

And Michael Caine is perfect.

MrsBlogAlot said...

I've never seen Hannah and Her Sisters but promise and pinky swear to check it out now!!!

G said...

Phil: His line about if Jesus came back and witnessed the state of the world is classic.

Mrsblogalot: Welcome! Thanks for the visit, and yes, I do recommend this film! :)

The Clever Pup said...

We got Hannah and her Sisters for my son for Christmas. He's a Woody Allen fan. It's on deck.