Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thanks HD... No Really... Thanks

More HD live broadcast brilliance as I caught the wonderful goofiness of the Met`s La Fanciulla del West, one of my favourite operas ever, a spaghetti western of unabashed romance. Minnie is a rare Puccini heroine who lives at the end. Deborah Voigt, Marcello Giordani and Lucio Gallo sang up a snow storm.

Then a couple of weeks ago was the pounding FELA! (part of the National Theatre Live programming from London), which was a heated treat on a very cold Toronto night. I had never heard of Fela Kuti and his Afrobeat legacy before but I`ll never forget him now! Then, just this past week, the National Theatre Live season continued with a Donmar Warehouse production with Derek Jacobi in his amazing Lear. Theatrical lucidity from confused senility... powerful stuff and it`s touring Britain next before, I believe, heading to New York.

I`ve said it here before: get thee to an HD live broadcast... stat!

2 comments:

R.A.D. Stainforth said...

Derek Jacobi is a proper actor and he once trod on my foot in the London Underground, I think it was Baker Street station, either he was drunk, or I was ...

G said...

He certainly is the real deal.