Sunday, April 18, 2010

Enchanted April

"All the radiance of April in Italy lay gathered together at her feet. The sun poured in on her. The sea lay asleep in it, hardly stirring. Across the bay the lovely mountains, exquisitely different in colour, were asleep too in the light; and underneath her window, at the bottom of the flower-starred grass slope from which the wall of the castle rose up, was a great cypress, cutting through the delicate blues and violets and rose-colours of the mountains and the sea like a great black sword."

From The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim. My St. Lawrence neighbourhood may be no San Salavatore, but I'm loving photographing its emerging spring colours.



6 comments:

Blasé said...

I want some of that 'Fig Jam' below...

G said...

Blase: I don't blame you!

Zuzana said...

That is a set of gorgeous photographs.;) Enchanted indeed.;)
I hope our April will warm up soon, it is suppose to be down to 5C tomorrow....
xo

Glennis said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog and praising Jack!!

I am delighted to see your "Enchanted April" post. I wrote a post with the same quote. It was inspired by a house here in Los Angeles on the coast.

http://doves2day.blogspot.com/2009/04/april-enchantment-la-style.html

I'll keep visiting you!

G said...

Zuzana: Things warmed up earlier than usual here... but the best is yet to come. Our city gets very pink and girly any day now! :) Stay warm my friend.

G said...

Aunt Snow: I'm gobsmacked that we used the same quote! Your pictures that illustrate it are so beautiful. Sigh... time to view that movie again. :)