Saturday, April 17, 2010

Breath of Spring

Pourquoi me réveiller
ô souffle du printemps?
Pourquoi me réveiller?
Sur mon front je sens tes caresses,
et pourtant bien proche est le temps
des orages et des tristesses!
Pourquoi me réveiller,
ô souffle du printemps?


Why do you awaken me?
o breath of Spring?
Why do you awaken me?
On my forehead I feel your caresses,
and yet very near is the time
of storms and sorrows!
Why do you awaken me,
o breath of Spring?

(From Massenet's opera Werther, to a libretto by Édouard Blau, Paul Milliet and Georges Hartmann; translation by Randall Garrou.) Last fall I saw Ramón Vargas sing this aria, and it left me longing for spring, although not wishing time away... and here it is!





I can't get enough of spring this year, of the painfully wonderful blue, of the water, of the fresh air, of the soft blossoms who are nowhere near their height yet.

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

I agree with these sentiments. I think your spring this year is like ours was last year. It was magnificent and absolutely striking in every way, I have never seen such blossoms nor have we ever had so much sunshine.
This year everything is delayed and effected by the long and hard winter.
Stunning photography.
Have a lovely weekend.
xo

G said...

I so long for spring for you Zuzana!