Friday, April 23, 2010

What's Your Preference?

I was thinking today about flowers and the vases we choose to set them in. A friend of mine once told me that she often yearned for white roses in a Waterford crystal vase on a highly polished table. On occasion her wish came true. My favourite setting belongs to a very wealthy woman of my acquaintance who has an oak-panelled dining room. The room is simply furnished and in the centre of her large refectory table sits a large, rounded pewter vase filled constantly with dark red roses. It's a stunning sight, and my ultimate flower/vase setting.

Mine? Well, I keep it simple and suitable to my modest, but much-loved, home. Occasionally I'll put fresias in a cranberry vase, but my regular weekly treat from spring to fall are white daisies in a shapely art-deco green vase. On the gloomiest day, they're most cheering.



7 comments:

Hilary said...

It has such a crisp, clean and fresh look. Lovely. I like the new header too.

Hilarywho said...

How nice. I love daisies, too. & they last so long. We have a Waterford vase we rarely use - too fancy! Usually just use the cheap glass vases instead. Isn't that silly?

Anonymous said...

I really like your green vase, it compliments the white daisies nicely. We usually use a clear vase for our dining room table. I think it leaves all the attention for the flowers.
Have a good weekend!

Betsy Brock said...

Oh, it's lovely...and the trivet coordinates, too! :) I like to use different things for vases...teapots, bowls, etc. I'm pretty casual in my choices and arrangements. You can't go wrong with fresh flowers, can you!

Zuzana said...

I am like you, I like to keep my flowers and vases simple. Wild flowers are my favorites.,;)
Have a great weekend,
xo

The Clever Pup said...

Well, since we seem to have so much in common - I would put daisies in my turquoise-green art deco pot.

I don't know what took me so long to become a follower of your blog. Afraid of losing my Toronto anonymity. Maybe I'm jealous of your cake-decorating skills. Anyway. I'm a follower now and I'll be poking around looking at all your older posts.

G said...

I hope there are many flowery offerings for all of you.

Clever Pup: I'm so glad to see you on here! I'm a bit jealous of your painting skills... quite wonderful.