Sunday, April 25, 2010

Salads

I'm lucky enough to be able to come home some lunchtimes. I relish the creation of my salads on those days. Usually on the weekends, when I have more time, they become more elaborate affairs. The basics are usually crisp romaine and fennel with an olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper dressing. Add ons become like ice cream sundae toppings - I just love playing with combinations of them and they usually come from the following list: pepitas, hard-boiled eggs, blanched sugar-snap peas, toasted slivered almonds or sesame seeds or pine nuts, ground flax seed, slivers of last nights grilled meat, curls of smoked salmon or prosciutto, ack... the list goes on. And from early spring to late fall, it's my meal of choice, for lunch or dinner.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh yum! I like spinach, crumbled eggs, green onion, slivered roasted almonds, and Mandarin orange segments in a sweet and sour dressing. I was hooked years ago by that particular combo at Magic Pan. I think they used bacon too, but I could take or leave that particular ingredient. This looks yummy.. those eggs perfectly cooked!

Zuzana said...

Mmmm! I LOVE salads. There is a salad with avocados and crab cakes that a very good friend of mine used to make in the US.;)
Your pictures of food are always so evocative.;)
xoxo

Betsy Brock said...

I do that same thing!...many times as a dinner. They are never the same thing twice...just what ever is in the frig. Yum! I love your cheery colored eggs against the greens!

Dr. M said...

Looks yummy and healthy! However, I only see 7 - 1/4 slices of egg. The $50,000 question is what happened to the 8th?

Anonymous said...

This would be delicious with some meat.

G said...

You are all inspiring! Dr. M: Yes... yes, you see correctly. I *love* hard-boiled eggs, so once quarter of one egg fell into my mouth quite serendipitously while I was slicing them.