Monday, April 26, 2010

Fat Mornings

For a Monday morning post, this is a bit of wishful thinking...

"Faire la grasse matinée" means literally "to make a fat (or thick or deep) morning", in other words, to lie in, to linger in bed (alone or in company), or sleep late and deeply. I love this idea and indulge in it whenever possible, for my own sanity, and as part of my attempt to follow in my hero's footsteps. That would be Tom Hodgkinson, author of one of my favourite books, How to be Idle. If it isn't on your bookshelf yet, I suggest you amble down to your local independent book seller and treat yourself. There are more offerings from Tom, but I think this is the one must-have.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be familiar with this:

I think myself that I could keep out of bed all right if I once got out.
(Jerome K. Jerome, Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow)

Zuzana said...

I can definitely relate with this sentiment.;) I savour my privilege to be able to do just that on Sunday mornings.;)
That French expression is priceless.;)
Love the images.;)
xoxo

Audubon Ron said...

No it doesn’t. Even I know that. Faire la grasse matinee means lay in the grass at a fair and watch a matinee moving with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. Shezz, who are trying to kid.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Idleness is so often highly underrated.
And sleep does wonders for the complexion!

Betsy Brock said...

I remember you mentioning that favorite book before! I think I need a copy of that! :)

troutbirder said...

Many of my retired friends like to emphasize how busy they are. I favor the opposite approach.

G said...

Dr. S: Yes, Tom Hodgkinson quotes Jerome K. Jerome often.

Zuzana: Again, we share much in common. :)

Ron: Either way, sounds good to me Ron. But I don't like laying in cotton candy by mistake.

Pamela: It takes years off!

Betsy: It's a keeper.

Troutbirder: I applaud you, sir!