Saturday, December 5, 2009

Fantasticalicious!

The new Wes Anderson film Fantastic Mr. Fox is not your every day animated film from a children's classic book. The film maker has taken an already extraordinary story by Roald Dahl (and not one suitable for most children) and given it a fresh, inventive and quirky interpretation. The stop-start animation has a distinctly retro feel to it - think of the classic Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer Christmas television special. The voices are superb. I had no idea how expressive and varied George Clooney (Mr. Fox) could sound. I suppose when we're watching him in a live-action film, we're usually taken up with his dark chocolate eyes or his roguish smile. Meryl Streep as Mrs. Fox and all the other wonderful actors do a superb job of a clever and very grown-up script. All the usual Anderson touches are there: the cross-section of almost any structure, the sudden cutting from angle to angle, and the usual cast of suspects including Bill Murray and Owen Wilson.

I loved it and am giving it a BPG big thumbs up.

All this was enhanced by a highly successful, pre-movie, gift-shopping trip at Indigo...




... and dinner in the company of a pint of Guinness and two excellent friends.



I'd better get wrapping.

5 comments:

Zuzana said...

Love the Guinness!:))
xo

Audubon Ron said...

It’s a bird, no, it’s a plane, no, it’s a super movie, opera, concert reviews and essays savvy lady in Toronto known to all as the Blog Princess Guinness. She’s charming, she’s effervescent, she’s articulate and she has a great smile. 

I recently saw the Disney cartoon Up. Loved it. There is definitely some child still left in me. I’ll make sure to catch this one. If I don’t like it I’ll let you know with a single entry, “Let the record reflect…” If I do like it, naturally I’ll shower you many accolades and superlatives.

G said...

Protege: And I love photographing it too, did you notice? :)

Ron: Why thank you! I loved "Up" as well, I think it's still my favourite film of the year. I wanted to adopt Russell AND Doug. And no cone of shame in my household. Let me know what you think of this one. :)

Edward Hegstrom said...

I LOVED "Mr. Fox" and would see it again in a second. Sadly, the studio had no clue how to market it, and every time I mention my enthusiasm to someone, they look at me like I'm nuts.

G said...

Edward: Hello! Lovely to see you here. The film was well promoted here from what I witnessed, hence seeing it. I'm so behind in movies. I always am.