Monday, December 28, 2009

"Winter Poems"

... is the name of this wood engraving by Gerard Brender à Brandis, which hangs above my desk.



And as I sit at my desk, a little like the one in the picture, I, too, look out at snowy boughs. The first real snow of the season has fallen on downtown Toronto. I don't think it will settle long, as impressive as it looks right now.

It's certainly a night to be warm and cosy. And as I drink my tea I'm perusing a book of poems by Wallace Stevens. Here's an appropriate one for tonight.


The Snow Man

One must have a mind of winter
To regard the frost and the boughs
Of the pine-trees crusted with snow;

And have been cold a long time
To behold the jupiters shagged with ice,
The spruces rough in the distant glitter

Of the January sun; and not to think
Of any misery in the sound of the wind,
In the sound of a few leaves,

Which is the sound of the land
Full of the same wind
That is blowing in the same bare place

For the listener, who listens in the snow,
And, nothing himself, beholds
Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.

4 comments:

Audubon Ron said...

I love a good poem. That one confused me a little.

The book is coming along fine. Edited a lot of the first 3 Chapters since you saw it. It was overstated in a few places. Toned down the parental fight scene a lot. Added a lot of color in the last part of C3 and C4 and C5 are perking up a little.

BTW, what do you do for a living?

G said...

Ron, what is poetry without some confusion? I'm almost always confused. I'm emailing you my thoughts on your first few chapters.

Tess Kincaid said...

I love Wallace Steven's poetry and got myself a book of his work last year. And hey, I just posted woodcut prints as one of my hot items for 2010!

G said...

Willow: Hooray! I'm all for woodcuts.