Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Brilliant


The thing that amazes me about cartoonists like Robert Weber is the ability to say it all in one image. I love this one, and it's going - framed - in my kitchen. It does say it all: the frantic pose of the frazzled cook (we can only imagine what her hair looks like now); the burning, sizzling, steaming culinary disasters on the stove; the lobster scuttling away... but what I love most of all, is the well-meaning smiles of discovery (about to fade away) on the faces of the guests as they hesitantly but curiously peer around the kitchen door.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's well known the best food comes from the messiest kitchens! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love it! Poor little cook...she's thinking the guests are sitting in her beautifully clean and company-ready dining room and so glad that they can't see the kitchen from their seats!

Buttercream and lemon curd?...I'll be right over to lick the bowls!

Anonymous said...

I can certainly relate to this. I can crank out a pretty good finished product, but the process looks exactly like this! I am an extremely messy cook.

Thanks for the giggles. I love Robert Weber's cartoons! :)

Anonymous said...

Very funny! I hope Mr. Tibbles has the good sense enough not to interfere when BPG is creating magic in the kitchen... he could end up like the lobster... or worse!

Anonymous said...

I can relate! Thanks for the big laugh!

Anonymous said...

I love those single panels.
Reminds me of Peter Arno's.

Anonymous said...

Great cartoon....and I can't help wondering what it is she's reaching for in the fridge?

Anonymous said...

It is so hot and humid here so when I get home I’m going to make a new potato salad, heavy on the spring onions, a tomato salad, and some mixed salad leaves with shredded raw beetroot served with a slab or two of good quality ham.

And my kitchen will look like hers.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh!! What a splendid drink!! We should have some together...