Saturday, June 14, 2008

His Kind of Woman (1951)

This deliciously over-the-top, noirish thriller, with large doses of comedy, has lived more in legend for me than in actual viewing for a long time. I saw it once as a kid, and then again this week, courtesy of Turner Classic Movies. It holds up well... with Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell perfectly paired with their dark, heavy-lidded, curled-lip good looks and their insouciant cool.



The plot is interesting: A gambler, played by Mitchum, is drawn into a plot whereby a notorious off-shore gambler is making his return to the U.S., but needs a new "face" to avoid detection. Russell is the dame, and she gets to sing a couple of songs too. A great supporting cast includes Raymond Burr, Jim Backus and Vincent Price, who has a great time chewing the scenery as a Hollywood star who decides to transfer his action hero persona into real life.

It's directed by John Farrow (Mia's father) with costumes by Howard Greer. I mention the latter credit as Jane Russell's dresses are so gorgeous, and she looks so gorgeous in them. When I was growing up, watching old movies with my folks, the costumers, make-up artists and composers were always our favourite credits, because we had learned to recognize the names and would always call them out. "Ben Nye!" "Max Steiner!" "Edith Head!" "Adrian!" Yes... a strange family in some ways. Hee hee.



Mitchum and Russell were to be paired again the following year for Macao (1952), which has one of the great taglines: "A sultry chanteuse, a hunk on the lam and a fortune in stolen gems." I'm sold!

What I don't get is why Mitchum and Russell didn't make more films together...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robert Mitchum had that "bad boy" dangerous element going on, didn't he? And Russell certainly did make clothing talk!

We call the names out when the credits roll, too...teehee.

I missed this one!

Anonymous said...

The name in the credits always called out by members of my family was "Harry Love!"--Mr. Love being an effects animator at the Warner Bros. cartoon studio.

I come from a family of credit geeks, obviously.

Anonymous said...

I love old noir films - there's so many I want to see and this one is up there on the list. A friend of mine gave me a calendar for Christmas that feature old noir movie posters, and this one and Macao are really great. I like how they were actually hand drawn posters unlike todays floating head pictures.

Nice review, I have to get this one higher up in the queue.

Anonymous said...

So we weren't alone in our credit geekiness. Hooray!

Eaglewing: I'm so pleased... I'm sure you'll enjoy it!