Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Song of the Day

Life, she is busy and good as I prep for another vacation... but there is always time for music.

And there is always time for the Gershwins and Ella Fitzgerald.


How Long has this been going on?
(Ira and George Gershwin)

I could cry salty tears;
Where have I been all these years?
Little wow, tell me now:
How long has this been going on?

There were chills up my spine,
And some thrills I can't define.
Listen, sweet, I repeat:
how long has this been going on?

Oh, I feel that I could melt;
Into Heaven I'm hurled!
I know how Columbus felt,
Finding another world.

Kiss me once, then once more.
What a dunce I was before.
What a break! For Heaven's sake!
How long has this been going on?

Dear, when in your arms I creep,
That divine rendez-vous,
Don't wake me, if I'm asleep,
Let me dream that it's true !

Kiss me twice, then once more.
That makes thrice, let's make it four!
What a break! For Heaven's sake!
How long has this been going on?


The rendition by Ella Fitzgerald is what gives me shivers. That warm, bronzed voice... what a classic.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh your lucky. Another vacation. I need a real vacation.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ace Girl, you've been missed!

Love, love, love this Gershwin song.

Another vacation? Aren't you the lucky girl? Safe and happy travels, dear bloggy friend. x

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Ella's good and all...but for anyone who has seen Funny Face, Audrey Hepburn will own this song forever.

Anonymous said...

Take a listen to Peggy Lee's version... recorded early in her career (1941). I believe it was done with Benny Goodman. Done in the style of the era - the singer was not the focus, the band was.
None the less, Lee still delivers.

From the album, In The Beginning the Legend of Peggy Lee.

Carly Simon also recorded it... on Moonlight Serenade

Regardless the singer, Ella is the mark against which all is measured.

Anonymous said...

Ella is one of my all-time favourite singers. Smooth like honey. And these days, I do know how Columbus felt...

Anonymous said...

Love that song! :)

Anonymous said...

I love anything by Ella! The woman's voice was smoother than silk...Was there anything she couldn't sing?

Anonymous said...

How long has this been goin’ on? (George Gershwin’s little-known but significant response after turning off Sorabji’s illicitly recorded Glasgow première of Opus Clavicembalisticum after Fuga II).