Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Fathers' Day

I am most blessed to come from a long line of good men and women. Here are some of the gentlemen who have had a deep impact on me:


My English grandad Rex and his father Walter in the early 30s:




My dashing English grandad in his youth:




My uncle Jeb and my dad, as boys, in 1942. Their dad was away during the war and sent them these little uniforms for Christmas. This is a wistful shot...




My grandad Rex and my Italian grandad Pietro, on holiday in 1972:




My dad, John, and me in 1969:




And two years ago, me and my dad... he was just getting over a nasty bout of cancer. Still with us, cancer free:



My dad is the smartest, wisest, most knowledgeable man I know. He lives to help others and it took me a while to learn to accept that help. I love you Pop - Happy Fathers' Day!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh.Great old photos and post.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, this made me very teary. Family means so much and this was a beautiful post on the men in yours. Thank you, BPG.

Anonymous said...

Good for you!
You are most fortunate.

Anonymous said...

Great photos - I love the one of you and your dad on the train!

Anonymous said...

Those are some wonderful shots! Happy Father's Day - again :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely post of all of your men! :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooh...you know how much I love family photos. I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely tribute to your fine lineage of men. You are very fortunate.

Anonymous said...

Ah how lovely.. some great photos there :)

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful photos! The one on the train looks like a scene from a movie. A delightful bunch of gentlemen, all!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful post, the writing and the photos both. I love the shot of your two grandads both in profile, seated at a table, your English grandad in front of the lace curtained window, Rex and Walter in the early 30's, and most especially of all the one of you and your Dad in 1969 in the train compartment, you with your floppy golden hair bow, he with his romantically inclined hat : ) - what a great archive you have and what wonderful memories, I really loved visiting here and seeing these family photos, thank you for letting me see them ; ) Love, AKR.